How can i stretch my background over 2 monitors?

Anonymous
2009-11-21T23:14:34+00:00

I'm running 2 monitors (extended mode) and when i change my background it gets doubled. I was using win xp pro before and my background was extended on the other monitor but windows wont let me?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-27T00:27:19+00:00

Hi lightningwolf71,

 I was going through some online resources and came across one workaround regarding this issue, hope this helps in resolving the issue.

Follow these steps to display a large image across multiple monitors:

  1. Right click on the Desktop background and select Personalize.
  2. Click on Desktop Background
  3. Select a background image that is at least as wide as the combined resolution of both of your monitors. For Example, I have two 19" monitors that have a resolution of 1280×1024. I need an image of 2560×1024 or greater so that it can be displayed across both monitors.
  4. Select Tile for picture positioning option. This is the only option that will display your background image across multiple monitors.
  5. Select Save Changes.

Your background image now should be displayed across both monitors instead of having the same image displayed on both monitors.

Hope this information was useful.


Naveen

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-02-27T10:48:36+00:00

    YES!!! it works... very clever.... I like your anti-logic... ;-)

    I found that it had kept the 'photoviewer' setting and I had to go to the "desktop background", then in the drop down "picture location" I picked the folder where the image was saved, browsed to find the correct picture. Then "tile" and wehey!! all is well again on my desktop ;-)

    Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-05-22T11:51:24+00:00

    Upgrade to the Windows 8 abomination. It adds back horizontal span (besides ruining everything else) due to Metro.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-07-03T23:20:57+00:00

    Worked great for me. Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-09-07T16:27:40+00:00

    Sir!  You sir are fantastic!   Mine was in a backgrounds library and did the same thing as it did from photo viewer but just moving the file and resetting as background from Explorer allowed the tile to work as advertised.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments