INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR (a0)

Anonymous
2009-08-25T20:50:39+00:00

My computer is crashing with the following error: “INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR (a0) The power policy manager experienced a fatal error.” What can I do about this?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-08-25T20:55:56+00:00

This error is caused by the hibernation file size being is too small for the current memory requirements of the computer. To fix this problem, increase the size of the hibernation file by following these steps:

  1. Click the Start button.
  2. In the search box, type command prompt.
  3. In the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
  4. In the Command Prompt window type:

powercfg /hibernate /size <size%>

where <size%> equals the size of the hibernation file in percentage of total physical memory.

The default size is 75% and can be increased to 100% with:

powercfg /hibernate /size 100

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-08-04T19:01:54+00:00

    I have the same same problem. And none of the fixes posted so far have helped (although i'm very grateful for said fixes having been posted). I have a radeon R9 M275X which seems to be one of the graphics cards that causes the crash, but disabling it doesn't help, and whenever I try to use cmd or restart my computer in safe mode etc. it immediately crashes. I understand that whenever an OS is released, there will be issues, and that's okay, but I have to say that i'm disappointed in how big of an issue Microsoft let slide, as well as their lack of support. Thanks so much to everyone who's been posting answers, I hope we find a fix soon!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-08-08T01:29:37+00:00

    I cannot confirm network drivers causing this BUT I CAN confirm video drivers causing this.  It JUST PPPs me off.  Microsoft has been around for too long for this anomalies to happen. 

    When I was running Windows 8.0 I didn't have this problem, but as soon as I installed 8.1 the fan on my laptop started kicking into high speed and then the BSD.  Many times the system would just keep booting.  I was about to go into safe mode when on this last boot it completed, so I INSTANTLY went in and "DISABLED" the video driver.  DO NOT just uninstall it because Windows will reinstall it - trust me on this one.

    THEN I installed Windows 10 and lo and behold IT installed the same video graphics driver (AMD Radeon HD 7600M Series) that 8.1 installed.  Then after about 30 mins the fan again kicked into high speed.  Well the same symptoms occurred, so I again "DISABLED" this video graphics adapter and ALL seems well now.  No BSD, no fan running like a tornado, and the system is stable.  Took me FOREVER to figure this one out!!!!

    So I decided to look up "Internal Power Error" and found this post and thought maybe my info could help someone else.  Please please please Microsoft read this and put out updates to fix this.  I've been with Microsoft since DOS 2.x and Windows 286, and I'd like to stay with you guys.

    Regards,  a faithful Microsoft customer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-08-11T19:56:48+00:00

    Everyone,

    I really appreciate all the messages on this thread and the various suggestions. I tried them all, actually, and still had the issue until I finally found a solution that I hope helps all of you. It became obvious to me, from what so many others posted (and also after speaking with a local computer expert I've worked with before) that the INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR is definitely related to a driver incompatibility. I couldn't get my AMD driver to update though. Even though the update utility seemed to be working while it was in progress, when it finished I still had the old driver installed. Windows itself refused to accept that there was a newer driver available. Finally, I disabled Driver Signature Enforcement in Windows and, voila, I was able to install a new AMD driver. After doing this, the problem has gone away. To disable Driver Signature Enforcement in Windows 8.1 or 10, you should go to the "Settings" menu, then "Update & Security," then "Recovery," then "Advanced Startup" and click on the "Restart now" button. During this reboot process, you will see a screen where you can choose an option. Select "Troubleshoot," then "Advanced Options," then "Startup Settings." You will see a page with a list of options that are going to be available when you restart. Now, click the "Restart" button. You will see each of the options from the previous list and each has a number you will hit on your keyboard to select. I believe (if I remember correctly) that "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" is number 7. When your pc finishes restarting, you should then be able to install a new driver that will work with Windows 10. Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-08-17T14:36:44+00:00

    I actually found the fix to this INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR BSD on Windows 10 EVERYONE!!!!! Are you ready? Here it is: Press and hold Windows key + S and type in Device Manager.  Click Device manager/Control Panel. Now select Display Adapters and open. Right click AMD Graphics Radeon. Click disable and you're done and no more BSD INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR. My coffee isn't even cold yet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments