INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR (a0)

Anonymous
2009-08-25T20:50:39+00:00

My computer is crashing with the following error: “INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR (a0) The power policy manager experienced a fatal error.” What can I do about this?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-08-25T20:55:56+00:00

This error is caused by the hibernation file size being is too small for the current memory requirements of the computer. To fix this problem, increase the size of the hibernation file by following these steps:

  1. Click the Start button.
  2. In the search box, type command prompt.
  3. In the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
  4. In the Command Prompt window type:

powercfg /hibernate /size <size%>

where <size%> equals the size of the hibernation file in percentage of total physical memory.

The default size is 75% and can be increased to 100% with:

powercfg /hibernate /size 100

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-08-08T01:29:37+00:00

    I cannot confirm network drivers causing this BUT I CAN confirm video drivers causing this.  It JUST PPPs me off.  Microsoft has been around for too long for this anomalies to happen. 

    When I was running Windows 8.0 I didn't have this problem, but as soon as I installed 8.1 the fan on my laptop started kicking into high speed and then the BSD.  Many times the system would just keep booting.  I was about to go into safe mode when on this last boot it completed, so I INSTANTLY went in and "DISABLED" the video driver.  DO NOT just uninstall it because Windows will reinstall it - trust me on this one.

    THEN I installed Windows 10 and lo and behold IT installed the same video graphics driver (AMD Radeon HD 7600M Series) that 8.1 installed.  Then after about 30 mins the fan again kicked into high speed.  Well the same symptoms occurred, so I again "DISABLED" this video graphics adapter and ALL seems well now.  No BSD, no fan running like a tornado, and the system is stable.  Took me FOREVER to figure this one out!!!!

    So I decided to look up "Internal Power Error" and found this post and thought maybe my info could help someone else.  Please please please Microsoft read this and put out updates to fix this.  I've been with Microsoft since DOS 2.x and Windows 286, and I'd like to stay with you guys.

    Regards,  a faithful Microsoft customer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-08-04T19:01:54+00:00

    I have the same same problem. And none of the fixes posted so far have helped (although i'm very grateful for said fixes having been posted). I have a radeon R9 M275X which seems to be one of the graphics cards that causes the crash, but disabling it doesn't help, and whenever I try to use cmd or restart my computer in safe mode etc. it immediately crashes. I understand that whenever an OS is released, there will be issues, and that's okay, but I have to say that i'm disappointed in how big of an issue Microsoft let slide, as well as their lack of support. Thanks so much to everyone who's been posting answers, I hope we find a fix soon!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-08-04T10:36:55+00:00

    I too had this problem. I have a 1-year old Toshiba laptop running windows 8.1, up to date with all windows updates, and an AMD graphics card.

    When I installed windows 10 I kept getting the dreaded blue screen with INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR every time I tried to use the computer.

    I contacted MS technical support on Thursday. The Level 1 Tech. Support person couldn't fix it, or get remote access..

    Level 2 Tech. Support contacted me at 8.40am on Sunday. After numerous attempts to get remote access, a number of phone-backs it was eventually establish (so say) that my AMD R9 200x graphics were the problem.

    He went into Device Manager > Display Adapters > right-click and 'disable', in turn the AMD & Intel*(R)*.

    Tech. person finished with me about 5.50pm. It was a long day.

    Computer now works but I am waiting to get the updated AMD graphics stuff. Videos don't run perfectly and the 'GOOGLE' logo from the google homepage is missing (no loss) but other wise no other issues.

    Not sure if this helps, but best of luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-08-01T09:38:52+00:00

    Hello,

    I had this problem too and it is easily solved

    This fix is for Windows 10 only

    Go to ~

    Control Panel

    System and Security

    Power Options

    Choose When to turn off the display

    Select NEVER & then NEVER

    Apply / save

    All fixed

    Elspeth

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments