INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR (a0)

Anonymous
2009-08-25T20:50:39+00:00

My computer is crashing with the following error: “INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR (a0) The power policy manager experienced a fatal error.” What can I do about this?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-08-25T20:55:56+00:00

This error is caused by the hibernation file size being is too small for the current memory requirements of the computer. To fix this problem, increase the size of the hibernation file by following these steps:

  1. Click the Start button.
  2. In the search box, type command prompt.
  3. In the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
  4. In the Command Prompt window type:

powercfg /hibernate /size <size%>

where <size%> equals the size of the hibernation file in percentage of total physical memory.

The default size is 75% and can be increased to 100% with:

powercfg /hibernate /size 100

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-25T00:17:57+00:00

    To Anyone that can assist:

    Subject: INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR

    OS: Windows 10  Upgrade from Windows 7

    System Type: Desktop

    The PC goes Blue screen and reboots at random. I can use it sometimes for an hour or two or it will shutdown in 5 to 10 minutes.

    An example from Reliability Monitor:

    Windows: Shut down unexpectedly                      10/24/2015 6:43

    Windows: Windows stopped working                   10/24/2015  6:43

    Windows: Windows was not properly shut down  10/24/2015 6:43

    Errors Reported:

    1) The previous system shutdown at 6:23:08 PM on ‎10/‎24/‎2015 was unexpected.

    2) The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. 

    The bugcheck was: 0x000000a0 (0x0000000000000613, 0xffffe00011d98110, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000001).

    A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 102415-49750-01.

    Hardware:

    Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H Rev 1.1 Mother Board

    OS 64 Bit

    4GB Mem

    On board video

    AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU

    Previous OS: W7 64 Worked Normally No issues

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-08-21T05:49:29+00:00

    Absolutely Brilliant also sped up the loading time

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-08-17T14:36:44+00:00

    I actually found the fix to this INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR BSD on Windows 10 EVERYONE!!!!! Are you ready? Here it is: Press and hold Windows key + S and type in Device Manager.  Click Device manager/Control Panel. Now select Display Adapters and open. Right click AMD Graphics Radeon. Click disable and you're done and no more BSD INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR. My coffee isn't even cold yet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-08-11T19:56:48+00:00

    Everyone,

    I really appreciate all the messages on this thread and the various suggestions. I tried them all, actually, and still had the issue until I finally found a solution that I hope helps all of you. It became obvious to me, from what so many others posted (and also after speaking with a local computer expert I've worked with before) that the INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR is definitely related to a driver incompatibility. I couldn't get my AMD driver to update though. Even though the update utility seemed to be working while it was in progress, when it finished I still had the old driver installed. Windows itself refused to accept that there was a newer driver available. Finally, I disabled Driver Signature Enforcement in Windows and, voila, I was able to install a new AMD driver. After doing this, the problem has gone away. To disable Driver Signature Enforcement in Windows 8.1 or 10, you should go to the "Settings" menu, then "Update & Security," then "Recovery," then "Advanced Startup" and click on the "Restart now" button. During this reboot process, you will see a screen where you can choose an option. Select "Troubleshoot," then "Advanced Options," then "Startup Settings." You will see a page with a list of options that are going to be available when you restart. Now, click the "Restart" button. You will see each of the options from the previous list and each has a number you will hit on your keyboard to select. I believe (if I remember correctly) that "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" is number 7. When your pc finishes restarting, you should then be able to install a new driver that will work with Windows 10. Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments