INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR (a0)

Anonymous
2009-08-25T20:50:39+00:00

My computer is crashing with the following error: “INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR (a0) The power policy manager experienced a fatal error.” What can I do about this?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-08-25T20:55:56+00:00

This error is caused by the hibernation file size being is too small for the current memory requirements of the computer. To fix this problem, increase the size of the hibernation file by following these steps:

  1. Click the Start button.
  2. In the search box, type command prompt.
  3. In the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
  4. In the Command Prompt window type:

powercfg /hibernate /size <size%>

where <size%> equals the size of the hibernation file in percentage of total physical memory.

The default size is 75% and can be increased to 100% with:

powercfg /hibernate /size 100

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-14T14:50:15+00:00

    clanbain go you search in the start menu and type: CMD, Command prompt should pull up in the search.  Additionally, Command Prompt is typically in the Start menu's all apps version.  I am getting this error too, but only on my desktop.   Seems my laptop I upgraded has some way around it.  Not sure why.  The run as administer is an option under a right click.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-20T17:02:16+00:00

    This error is caused by the hibernation file size being is too small for the current memory requirements of the computer. To fix this problem, increase the size of the hibernation file by following these steps:

     

    1. Click the Start button.
    2. In the search box, type command prompt.
    3. In the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
    4. In the Command Prompt window type:

    powercfg /hibernate /size <size%>

    where <size%> equals the size of the hibernation file in percentage of total physical memory.

    The default size is 75% and can be increased to 100% with:

     

    powercfg /hibernate /size 100

    I got this since installing Windows 8.1 never happened with Windows 8. And how do I get to the Command Prompt  Run as Administrator ?

    I'm close to the edge and ready to bail to Linux

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-11-11T15:00:42+00:00

    This does not work to correct the problem. My system was defaulted to 100% before I did anything, I cannot get Windows to make the hiberfil.sys any larger, I have deleted and recreated the file, and every time I try to hibernate the laptop it BSOD's.

    Win 7 Pro SP1

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-06-13T03:14:01+00:00

    This is a really dumb issue that should not exist.

    Why is it that Microsoft has time to add unsigned drivers that windows won't load to Windows Update, yet they set hibernate not to work if you have a lot of things open (when you need hibernate the most).

    I ignore a lot of issues with Microsoft products because of the complexity involved.  I know windows is far too complex for one team to handle alone, and this inevitably causes problems...but this is the kind of thing that there is no excuse for.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments