Windows Live photo gallery: "An error is preventing the photo or video from being displayed" (jpg)

Anonymous
2009-10-02T19:03:45+00:00

Hi -

I have Win XP,  and windows Live photo gallery.  The thumbnails appear fine, but when I click or double-click a thumbnail to open it full screen, I get the error message "An error is preventing the photo or video from being displayed".  the files are standard jpgs.  I tried changing the jpg file association to Windows Live photo gallery; that didn't work.  (default before was Irfanview) The SubinACL fix didn't work.  Any ideas?

thanks

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-05T14:21:21+00:00

Hey Jim Br,

Welcome to the forum!

This can happen in the database that keeps track of the pictures and videos in your collection becomes corrupted. You can rebuild your database by:

·         Close Windows Live Photo Gallery

·         Click Start

·         Click My Computer

·         Paste this address in the Address field %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Photo Gallery

·         Right click Pictures.pd5

·         Click Rename

·         Change the file name to OLD_Pictures.pd5

·         Open Windows Live Photo Gallery

Now Windows Live Photo Gallery will rebuild its database, which should stop the error you are receiving from occurring.

Hope that helps, look forward to hearing back from you.


Steven

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-12-18T17:32:59+00:00

    Steven,

    I have to rebuild my machine from Vista to Windows 7. I tried the upgrade option and it bombed out. Instead of an upgrade, I'm just going to rebuild and reload the Windows 7 from scratch. Sometime's it doesn't hurt to clean the garage out.

    I've backed up all my apps and data.

    However, I'd like to take the tags and meta-data from Windows Live Photo Gallery and back that up and then when I get the machine up and running and WLPG re-installed on it just drop that data into the Gallery so all my tags are saved.

    I don't see a meta-base backup utility in WLPG to do this easily.

    Can I just copy the .pd4 file to my backup drive and then put it on the machine once rebuilt?

    Or is there a meta-base backup utility for WLPG that I can't find?

    Thanks,

    Herschel

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-01-02T18:37:02+00:00

    One thing I want to point out here is the local settings folder in Windows 7 cannot be accessed and also in Windows 7 local settings is a hidden file. Could you please update this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-01-11T09:06:35+00:00

    I also cannot get this ____ useless windows live photo gallery to open a picture.

    WIndows 7.

    This is really annoying and all answers on the web doesnt solve my problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-02-03T07:55:29+00:00

    This worked just fine.  Thanks I have been using the Vista 64 which worked great until I upgraded to Windows 7 64.  This quick fix allowed me to use Live photo gallery like it worked in Vista 64.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments