Windows Live photo gallery: "An error is preventing the photo or video from being displayed" (jpg)

Anonymous
2009-10-02T19:03:45+00:00

Hi -

I have Win XP,  and windows Live photo gallery.  The thumbnails appear fine, but when I click or double-click a thumbnail to open it full screen, I get the error message "An error is preventing the photo or video from being displayed".  the files are standard jpgs.  I tried changing the jpg file association to Windows Live photo gallery; that didn't work.  (default before was Irfanview) The SubinACL fix didn't work.  Any ideas?

thanks

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-05T14:21:21+00:00

Hey Jim Br,

Welcome to the forum!

This can happen in the database that keeps track of the pictures and videos in your collection becomes corrupted. You can rebuild your database by:

·         Close Windows Live Photo Gallery

·         Click Start

·         Click My Computer

·         Paste this address in the Address field %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Photo Gallery

·         Right click Pictures.pd5

·         Click Rename

·         Change the file name to OLD_Pictures.pd5

·         Open Windows Live Photo Gallery

Now Windows Live Photo Gallery will rebuild its database, which should stop the error you are receiving from occurring.

Hope that helps, look forward to hearing back from you.


Steven

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-05-15T11:29:34+00:00

    I tried this fix it did not work.  I went back and looked I now have the two files. OLD_Pictures.pd5 and****Pictures.pd5.Please help.Ed

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-02-22T22:55:39+00:00

    I tried to do this but when I did it said that the action cant be completed because the file is open in windows live photo gallery. I don't have windows photo gallery open. What do I do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-01-23T06:08:21+00:00

    Some times the problem persists when ever there are display driver changes. This would be the probable case even with a OS upgrade.

    Try reinstalling/repairing the Windows Live Essentials and that would fix it all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-12-18T10:31:27+00:00

    I had a slightly different problem - WLPG refused to start, giving error msg 80004002 . Search this error code didn;t help !  But guessing it might also be a corruption problem, I tried the above fix (Reply #1 -5th Oct-2009) .   

    NBG, but there was a pictures.pd6 file there.      Renamed it to OLD, restarted WLPG - and bingo, problem solved...

    Thanks to Steven et al

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments