Windows Live photo gallery: "An error is preventing the photo or video from being displayed" (jpg)

Anonymous
2009-10-02T19:03:45+00:00

Hi -

I have Win XP,  and windows Live photo gallery.  The thumbnails appear fine, but when I click or double-click a thumbnail to open it full screen, I get the error message "An error is preventing the photo or video from being displayed".  the files are standard jpgs.  I tried changing the jpg file association to Windows Live photo gallery; that didn't work.  (default before was Irfanview) The SubinACL fix didn't work.  Any ideas?

thanks

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-05T14:21:21+00:00

Hey Jim Br,

Welcome to the forum!

This can happen in the database that keeps track of the pictures and videos in your collection becomes corrupted. You can rebuild your database by:

·         Close Windows Live Photo Gallery

·         Click Start

·         Click My Computer

·         Paste this address in the Address field %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Photo Gallery

·         Right click Pictures.pd5

·         Click Rename

·         Change the file name to OLD_Pictures.pd5

·         Open Windows Live Photo Gallery

Now Windows Live Photo Gallery will rebuild its database, which should stop the error you are receiving from occurring.

Hope that helps, look forward to hearing back from you.


Steven

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-04-17T13:09:21+00:00

    thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-12-27T19:37:42+00:00

    The posted solution worked for me ONLY AFTER opening Windows Live Photo Gallery after renaming the .pd6 file.

    Paste "**%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Photo Gallery"**into your explorer address bar without the quotation marks.

    I see two files: Pictures.pd6 and OLD_Pictures.pd6  are ALREADY THERE. I renamed Pictures.pd6 to OLD2_Pictures.pd6 (Make sure there are no instances of Windows Live Photo Gallery open)

    After renaming the file, RE-OPEN Windows Live Photo Gallery and watch it populate the left hand column with photo folders again. It happens quickly so pay close attention. I suppose this is indicative of WLPG re-constructing its database of pictures because it only seems to happen once.

    Note that after renaming the file, I tried to open pictures and was still receiving the same error message. Only after allowing WLPG to do its thing was I able to view pictures on my flash drive without getting the error.

    Alternatively, you can use Piccasa. Hope this helps someone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-12-22T04:12:35+00:00

    This did not work...and what sucks is I restored my computer to factory settings and now this. I will never buy another Microsoft nor Dell computer AGAIN!!

    ==============================================

    You have replied to an older thread that began in 2009. Best bet

    would be to begin a new thread and explain exactly what you are

    trying to solve.

    Also...include your Windows version and Movie Maker version.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-12-22T02:35:19+00:00

    This did not work...and what sucks is I restored my computer to factory settings and now this. I will never buy another Microsoft nor Dell computer AGAIN!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments