Windows Live photo gallery: "An error is preventing the photo or video from being displayed" (jpg)

Anonymous
2009-10-02T19:03:45+00:00

Hi -

I have Win XP,  and windows Live photo gallery.  The thumbnails appear fine, but when I click or double-click a thumbnail to open it full screen, I get the error message "An error is preventing the photo or video from being displayed".  the files are standard jpgs.  I tried changing the jpg file association to Windows Live photo gallery; that didn't work.  (default before was Irfanview) The SubinACL fix didn't work.  Any ideas?

thanks

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-05T14:21:21+00:00

Hey Jim Br,

Welcome to the forum!

This can happen in the database that keeps track of the pictures and videos in your collection becomes corrupted. You can rebuild your database by:

·         Close Windows Live Photo Gallery

·         Click Start

·         Click My Computer

·         Paste this address in the Address field %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Photo Gallery

·         Right click Pictures.pd5

·         Click Rename

·         Change the file name to OLD_Pictures.pd5

·         Open Windows Live Photo Gallery

Now Windows Live Photo Gallery will rebuild its database, which should stop the error you are receiving from occurring.

Hope that helps, look forward to hearing back from you.


Steven

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-12-06T13:42:58+00:00

    I have windows7 and I have been working with jpg files and converting to pdf files and my Windows Live photo gallery won't open my photos anymore and I get the message "an error is preventing the photo or video from being displayed. I looked at your site and followed the suggestion of renaming the file Pictures.pd5 to OLD_Pictures.pd5 but I still get the same error message when trying to open my photos.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-12-06T13:23:46+00:00

    I renamed Pictures.pd5 to OLD_Pictures.pd5 but I still can not open my photos. Same message"An error is preventing the phot or video from being displayed.

    Mollie

    =========================================

    It may be best if you begin a new thread and explain the

    exact issue you are trying to correct. Also include your

    Windows version and the name and version of any other

    programs involved.

    When replying to older threads like this one that began

    in 2009 can get confusing.

    (555375) Suggestions for asking a question on help forums

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-12-06T12:48:02+00:00

    I renamed Pictures.pd5 to OLD_Pictures.pd5 but I still can not open my photos. Same message"An error is preventing the phot or video from being displayed.

    Mollie

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-12-03T17:27:49+00:00

    I had the same problem so followed the steps above - it comes back saying windows cannot fine the Windows Live Photo Gallery.

    =========================================

    It may be best if you begin a new thread and explain the

    exact issue you are trying to correct. Also include your

    Windows version and the name and version of any other

    programs involved.

    When replying to older threads like this one that began

    in 2009 can get confusing.

    (555375) Suggestions for asking a question on help forums

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments