Windows Live photo gallery: "An error is preventing the photo or video from being displayed" (jpg)

Anonymous
2009-10-02T19:03:45+00:00

Hi -

I have Win XP,  and windows Live photo gallery.  The thumbnails appear fine, but when I click or double-click a thumbnail to open it full screen, I get the error message "An error is preventing the photo or video from being displayed".  the files are standard jpgs.  I tried changing the jpg file association to Windows Live photo gallery; that didn't work.  (default before was Irfanview) The SubinACL fix didn't work.  Any ideas?

thanks

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-05T14:21:21+00:00

Hey Jim Br,

Welcome to the forum!

This can happen in the database that keeps track of the pictures and videos in your collection becomes corrupted. You can rebuild your database by:

·         Close Windows Live Photo Gallery

·         Click Start

·         Click My Computer

·         Paste this address in the Address field %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Photo Gallery

·         Right click Pictures.pd5

·         Click Rename

·         Change the file name to OLD_Pictures.pd5

·         Open Windows Live Photo Gallery

Now Windows Live Photo Gallery will rebuild its database, which should stop the error you are receiving from occurring.

Hope that helps, look forward to hearing back from you.


Steven

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-12-03T14:55:04+00:00

    I had the same problem so followed the steps above - it comes back saying windows cannot fine the Windows Live Photo Gallery.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-09-30T23:31:44+00:00

    did what it says above... and still says error... cant open any of the pictures

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-06-26T19:19:14+00:00

    Hi There, although I followed step by step, no joy - problem (as described above) remains.  Any other alternatives?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-04-17T13:09:21+00:00

    thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments