Windows Live photo gallery: "An error is preventing the photo or video from being displayed" (jpg)

Anonymous
2009-10-02T19:03:45+00:00

Hi -

I have Win XP,  and windows Live photo gallery.  The thumbnails appear fine, but when I click or double-click a thumbnail to open it full screen, I get the error message "An error is preventing the photo or video from being displayed".  the files are standard jpgs.  I tried changing the jpg file association to Windows Live photo gallery; that didn't work.  (default before was Irfanview) The SubinACL fix didn't work.  Any ideas?

thanks

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-05T14:21:21+00:00

Hey Jim Br,

Welcome to the forum!

This can happen in the database that keeps track of the pictures and videos in your collection becomes corrupted. You can rebuild your database by:

·         Close Windows Live Photo Gallery

·         Click Start

·         Click My Computer

·         Paste this address in the Address field %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Photo Gallery

·         Right click Pictures.pd5

·         Click Rename

·         Change the file name to OLD_Pictures.pd5

·         Open Windows Live Photo Gallery

Now Windows Live Photo Gallery will rebuild its database, which should stop the error you are receiving from occurring.

Hope that helps, look forward to hearing back from you.


Steven

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-07-09T21:10:07+00:00

     

    I have Vista. Unfortunately, this didn't work for me.

    ==========================================

    Please describe the issue you are trying to correct.


    Volunteer J - MS-MVP - Digital Media Experience - Notice_This is not tech support_I am a volunteer - Solutions that work for me may not work for you - ***Proceed at your own risk***

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-06-05T23:20:20+00:00

    Have tried this with XP loaded with service pak 3 and all requirement for the program exits. Renaming has not solved the problem.

    The files are in jpg format and not in read only format.

    PS

    I've just tried the "Dawn" demo from:

    (I have a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200)

    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xppictures/thread/53d2e1c6-34e0-4c24-8a10-bcb12454c1d8

    -the screen goes blank for a few seconds and I get a Message box with this comment:

    "This program requires an NVIDIA GeForceFX-class GPU or better to run"

    Unsupported features: ( I'll just list a few of the 27)

    ARB_mutltitexture

    ARB_texture_compression

    ARB_transpose_matrix, etc

    PPS

    The screen in the background went to a lower resolution also.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-05-10T23:58:47+00:00

    I found an easy fix for this problem.  I am using a 64 bit vista home premium operating system.    Go to control panel and select remove programs.   Scrowl down to "windows live essential" and select  it as if you wanted to uninstall it.   You will get a selection to either uninstall or repair.   Select repair.  It will fix your system.   At least it fixed my system.   Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-12-18T17:32:59+00:00

    Steven,

    I have to rebuild my machine from Vista to Windows 7. I tried the upgrade option and it bombed out. Instead of an upgrade, I'm just going to rebuild and reload the Windows 7 from scratch. Sometime's it doesn't hurt to clean the garage out.

    I've backed up all my apps and data.

    However, I'd like to take the tags and meta-data from Windows Live Photo Gallery and back that up and then when I get the machine up and running and WLPG re-installed on it just drop that data into the Gallery so all my tags are saved.

    I don't see a meta-base backup utility in WLPG to do this easily.

    Can I just copy the .pd4 file to my backup drive and then put it on the machine once rebuilt?

    Or is there a meta-base backup utility for WLPG that I can't find?

    Thanks,

    Herschel

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments