"Windows backup failed while trying to read from shadow copy on one of the volumes being backed up

Anonymous
2010-02-15T23:36:31+00:00

I am receiving the message "Windows backup failed while trying to read from shadow copy on one of the volumes being backed up  " when back up operation is run. I changed some back up folders and deleted some files on back up drive and think this is related to problem.  I need to know how to recreate the "shadow copy".

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-30T19:02:19+00:00

This is the very first time I am posting, but I found a pattern.

After researching this for days. I found that everyone who is experiencing this error code 0x8100037 is a W7 user AND has Microsoft Security Essentials installed. Simply disabling Microsoft Security Essentials makes the back up go through with no issue.

What I also noticed is that every time I got this error code during the back up process, at the same time in the history tab of the Security Essentials I see the same action being taken, where its removing a Severe virus (at least it thinks its a virus)


Exploit:Java/CVE-2009-3867.MZ

Category: Exploit

Description: This program is dangerous and exploits the computer on which it is run.

Recommended action: Remove this software immediately.

Security Essentials detected programs that may compromise your privacy or damage your computer. You can still access the files that these programs use without removing them (not recommended). To access these files, select the Allow action and click Apply actions. If this option is not available, log on as administrator or ask the security administrator for help.

Items: 

file:\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy50\Users\RB\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\0\4d43e080-1782a588->vmain.class


According to Microsoft, this is a virus http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?name=Exploit:Java/CVE-2009-3867.MZ&threatid=2147639445

Now, even though Essentials says it removed it, I still see this file in the directory, so I manually deleted it. I havent tried to rerun the backup with Essentials on, but can pretty much guess it will work. If not, at least this should point folks in the right direction on how to permanently rectify this issue. 

RB

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-16T19:07:43+00:00

Hi,

What backup utility are you using?

This could be Volume Shadow Copy service and SPP services are not started.

To restart the Volume Shadow Copy service and SPP services

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

1.    Open Administrative Tools by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Administrative Tools.

2.    Double-click Services. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.    If the SPP service is disabled, double-click it to open the service properties.

4.    If Volume Shadow Copy service is double-click it to open the service properties

5.    Click the Startup type list, click Automatic (Delayed Start), and then click Apply.

6.    Under Service status, click Start.

Event logs are special files that record significant events on your computer, such as when a user logs on to the computer or when a program encounters an error. Whenever these types of events occur, Windows records the event in an event log that you can read by using Event Viewer

To view the Event :

Applications and Services Logs vary. They include separate logs about the programs that run on your computer, as well as more detailed logs that pertain to specific Windows services.

1.    Open Event Viewer by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Event Viewer.‌ If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2.    Click an event log in the left pane.

3.    Double-click an event to view the details of the event and check for

the errors pertaining to Backups/VSS/SPP.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-information-appears-in-event-logs-Event-Viewer

For more information on Backup follow the link below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-and-restore-frequently-asked-questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-your-files

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/8be1ce21-a23d-4d2b-8563-5882dc73a383 

Thanks and Regards:

I. Suuresh Kumar- Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forumand let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-01-01T22:17:16+00:00

Now, even though Essentials says it removed it, I still see this file in the directory, so I manually deleted it. I havent tried to rerun the backup with Essentials on, but can pretty much guess it will work. If not, at least this should point folks in the right direction on how to permanently rectify this issue. 

RB

I found that ...\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0... folder persisted with content even after using the "Java 7 Update 1 (build 1.7.0_01-b08)" Control Panel -> General -> Temporary Internet Files -> Settings ... -> Delete Files ... button with all options checked. Therefore, for users who have updated to Java 7 it may be necessary to maually remove the Java 6 cache folder.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-22T12:21:27+00:00

    I'm having a similar issue, with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.  Windows Backup gives me the error message about being unable to read the shadow file, but no error number - just a suggestion that I look in the Event Logs - which have yielded no usable results for me.

    I have ascertained that the SPP and Volume Shadow Copy services are running, but got the same result.  I turned UAC to minimum with no result.  Finally I shut down scanning in Microsoft Security Essentials and got a good backup.  Then I turned MSE back on.

    MSE had discovered a malware file during one of the early backup attempts; I had put it there deliberately as part of generating a forensics USB drive - it was just an executable within a zip file, but I let MSE delete it anyway.  It made no difference - I could not get a good backup until I turned off scanning in MSE

    While that is a workaround, it hardly represents a permanent solution!

    Microsoft support: Can we have a workable permanent resolution, please?

     

    Walt

    Old thread, but stumbled on it desperate to solve the same basic problem, can't backup because of insufficient space for backup and shadow copies. So many possible problems, but for me, I found that my system reserved partition (Windows 7) was essentially full. It turned out that it somehow got a "pagefile.sys" created on it, and it used most all of the space.

    You can get rid of it. I will make it simple: In computer management of admin tools, assign it a drive letter. Then in the normal setup of virtual memory paging space, ensure this drive is set to "No paging file". Then go to the drive (and that you can see hidden files) - if there is a "pagefile.sys", just delete the thing. Reboot. Double check it is gone and that the system reserved space now is mostly empty (as normally it should be). NOW: doing a "create system image" will work without the error saying there is no space (very crappy message from Windows, you don't know what it is referring to, and you might think it is an empty 4TB backup drive that doesn't have enough space, as I was getting). The problem was on the volume attempted to be backed up in the system image, and it was the system reserved space volume - really hard to discover this problem, and find a solution. Easy - now that I know what happened.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-09-28T21:29:18+00:00

    I also received the message  "Windows backup failed while trying to read from shadow copy on one of the volumes being backed up  ".   My antivirus is Microsoft Security essentials, I tried all of the above fixes none of which worked. Security essentials kept coming up as cleaning, cleared an Exploit java.  I cleared the Java cache , that didn't work either. Then I went to the java website updated my version of Java and cleared two old unsecure versions ran back up again and hey presto it was successful!  I have had problems before with Java causing issues with my Dell laptop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments