How to a change my printer default setting from color to grayscale permanently.

Anonymous
2010-01-23T20:06:16+00:00

How do I  change my printer default setting from color to grayscale on a permanent basis.  Since I mostly print in greyscale, I want this as the default and then can change manually, as needed, when I want to print in color.  Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-23T20:43:30+00:00

Go to the Start Orb and select Devices and Printers. Right click on your printer and select Printing Preferences. Here you should be able to select gray scale under Color and save it..

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-03T01:55:49+00:00

    This does not work in windows 10.  after going to devices and printers and right clicking on the printer nothing happens.  ???? Does anyone else have a solution to this using Windows 10?

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-03T17:08:45+00:00

    Thanks for the guidance but in Windows 10 when I select the Microsoft start, I then have to go to settings to  get to devices.  After selecting devices, all my printers appear.  Nothing happens when right clicking on the printer.  So, I remain unable to get to the printing preferences to make grayscale or monochrome the default.  Do you have any additional guidance when Windows 10 is the operating system?  Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-12-04T07:55:47+00:00

    I can select "draft," "best" or "normal" and everything comes out exactly the same. In my bid to save ink it seems I cannot.

    My printer is an HP Envy 5640.

    If HP looks at this perhaps they would suggest a solution

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-01-05T07:29:58+00:00

    This worked for me:

    Open the Printer folder: Windows Logo + R and the command: shell:PrintersFolder

    Right-click on the printer and select Printing Preferences...

    Choose your preferred color setting and click OK

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments