Go to the Start Orb and select Devices and Printers. Right click on your printer and select Printing Preferences. Here you should be able to select gray scale under Color and save it..
How to a change my printer default setting from color to grayscale permanently.
How do I change my printer default setting from color to grayscale on a permanent basis. Since I mostly print in greyscale, I want this as the default and then can change manually, as needed, when I want to print in color. Thanks
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2018-01-06T15:41:45+00:00 Well, you folks are talking well over my head now but thanks for taking the time and effort to respond to the issue. All I know (I can control the color now ok from my PC) is there's no way that I can find to get our MacBook Pro to give me any kind of print color options. In its big anarchic brain It needs to print in color - be damned what the user wants or even if the printer has any color ink in its reservoir!
-
Anonymous
2018-01-06T13:57:28+00:00 Well, if you were a QA manager, even if not in software, you should understand that if the driver manufacturer is responsible, then MICROSOFT should state that when a question is asked. I was also in customer support and if a customer asked me any question, whether my software was responsible or not, I would do everything I could to answer that question or if I didn't know the answer, I would refer them to the responsible party. And, Jim, I am not trying to be sarcastic but software QA is totally different than hardware or any product QA. I will admit that I was on mini and large mainframe QA and PC software is completely different. Therefore, I wasn't aware that MICROSOFT was not responsible for all of the software they released. I do know that when I was doing QA on the mini computers, MICROSOFT WAS responsible for the entire software packages they released. I know this because our company bought software programs from them to incorporate into our software. So I worked closely with them a lot.
-
Anonymous
2018-01-04T17:09:33+00:00 This is probably the worst feature of Windows 10. Microsoft never really answers the question or if they do I have searched the net and still can't find it even after I figured out how to do this. Every time I restart my computer, it goes back to the color default. If you want to print (If you are out of color, it won't print until you do this.) in black ink only, select your document to print and select printer properties. Then it will show the color and grayscale. Click on the gray color from the color symbols. MICROSOFT, this is a mess. I was a software quality control manager for 15 years and I certainly would have been talking to a software engineer on this one!
The functions you refer to are not a part of Windows per se--they're in the driver provided by the printer manufacturer. The manufacturer is responsible for ensuring compatibility with the operating system. I was a QA manager and engineer for many years (although not in software) and I learned a long time ago to be sure that I understood the source of the problem before making up my mind that I knew what it was.
-
Anonymous
2018-01-04T16:46:55+00:00 This is probably the worst feature of Windows 10. Microsoft never really answers the question or if they do I have searched the net and still can't find it even after I figured out how to do this. Every time I restart my computer, it goes back to the color default. If you want to print (If you are out of color, it won't print until you do this.) in black ink only, select your document to print and select printer properties. Then it will show the color and grayscale. Click on the gray color from the color symbols. MICROSOFT, this is a mess. I was a software quality control manager for 15 years and I certainly would have been talking to a software engineer on this one!