How to a change my printer default setting from color to grayscale permanently.

Anonymous
2010-01-23T20:06:16+00:00

How do I  change my printer default setting from color to grayscale on a permanent basis.  Since I mostly print in greyscale, I want this as the default and then can change manually, as needed, when I want to print in color.  Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-23T20:43:30+00:00

Go to the Start Orb and select Devices and Printers. Right click on your printer and select Printing Preferences. Here you should be able to select gray scale under Color and save it..

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-13T23:11:12+00:00

    I did this and it looked like it worked, but when I go to print a document and click on "printer properties" it shows that I have "color" selected.  However, when I click on the "Advanced" button from there, it shows that the printer preference is grayscale.  Is there a way to remove the conflicting selections?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-27T21:12:55+00:00

    I don't have the option of color or greyscale. No button on screen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. LemP 74,985 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2017-06-22T18:18:55+00:00

    I think the problem is that Microsoft brings people to the Windows 7 thread even if they specify Windows 10 in their questions.  And Microsoft doesn't offer the option of starting a new thread.  The only options offered are "helpful" "solved my problem" or reply

    If by "I think the problem is that Microsoft brings people to the Windows 7 thread even if they specify Windows 10 in their questions" you mean that you searched for something and one of the results was this particular old thread, would you please briefly explain (1) how you conducted the search (e.g., did you use Google, Bing, another search engine, or the search box at the home page of Microsoft Community -- which just has "Windows" as a search category) and (2) what search terms you used?

    However you search, it's useful to look at the beginning of the thread, both to see what the original question "Applies to" and when it was asked.  The responses in old threads may very well not apply to current versions of Windows and very often have links that no longer work.  In addition, many people who responded to an old thread may no longer be monitoring replies to the thread and will rarely respond to questions.

    The terminology that Microsoft uses to mean "start a new thread" or "ask a new question" is "participate" (yes, that could be clearer) at the top of each page in Microsoft Community:

    See:  How to begin your own, new thread about your computer & your problem

    For future reference, if you search from the home page of Microsoft Community, after the search completes, select the most appropriate category under "Filter by" and then click "apply" to narrow the search results.  For example, if you searched using the terms "printer grayscale windows 10" you would get the following results, in which this old Windows 7 thread is at the top of the list of search results, just below "Best Bets" --

    If you then change the "Windows version" from "Show all" to "Windows 10" and click "Apply," you'll get a more relevant set of hits:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-06-22T17:07:34+00:00

    It would help if responders could use layperson language. 

    It would also help if people who post questions would pay attention to what they're doing and not post irrelevant (are you using Windows 7?) questions in seven-year-old threads.   Start a new thread with your question. 

    How to ask a question

    I think the problem is that Microsoft brings people to the Windows 7 thread even if they specify Windows 10 in their questions.  And Microsoft doesn't offer the option of starting a new thread.  The only options offered are "helpful" "solved my problem" or reply

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments