How to a change my printer default setting from color to grayscale permanently.

Anonymous
2010-01-23T20:06:16+00:00

How do I  change my printer default setting from color to grayscale on a permanent basis.  Since I mostly print in greyscale, I want this as the default and then can change manually, as needed, when I want to print in color.  Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-23T20:43:30+00:00

Go to the Start Orb and select Devices and Printers. Right click on your printer and select Printing Preferences. Here you should be able to select gray scale under Color and save it..

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-06-23T03:13:04+00:00

    I am having the same issue.  This solution does not work for Windows 10.  You cannot right click on the printer in the settings menu.  Nothing happens. This used to be very simple in previous Windows versions. Help please.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-09-08T12:11:12+00:00

    For Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 (others should be similar):

    Go to Start/Control Panel/Devices and Printers.

    Right click on your printer (hp 3200) and select Printer Properties.

    Select the Advanced tag and click on the Printing Defaults button at the bottom of the screen.

    Click on the “Color” tab and check the box that says “Print Grayscale”.

    If you want Black Only (and not gray), you can click on that.

    Joe Meree

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-09-03T17:08:45+00:00

    Thanks for the guidance but in Windows 10 when I select the Microsoft start, I then have to go to settings to  get to devices.  After selecting devices, all my printers appear.  Nothing happens when right clicking on the printer.  So, I remain unable to get to the printing preferences to make grayscale or monochrome the default.  Do you have any additional guidance when Windows 10 is the operating system?  Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-03-07T23:58:56+00:00

    Following the directions I could not find greyscale or the option to print in black only where I was told to look, I have changed it to greyscale when printing but as everybody says it changes back to default. I found an easy way to make sure it never prints in color again...remove the color cartridge! You can choose the darkness of the ink from there, you are now printing in single cartridge mode and your printer will let you know. If you want to print color merely put a color cartridge back in! Ta Da!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments