Can't format USB drive in NTFS format

Anonymous
2010-06-07T17:17:06+00:00

Can't format USB drive in windows 7

I recently bought a kingston 64GBUSB flash drive.  This works fine but I need to  format it in NTFS and windows format says it can't complete the format. Can anyone help?  answer here or at *** Email address is removed for privacy ***.  Thank ahead of time.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-08T16:13:23+00:00

Hi,

By default, Windows provides the option to format a USB flash drive with FAT or FAT32 file systems only, but not with  NTFS (New Technology****File System.)

The reason behind this is that there are some disadvantages of NTFS usage in this case. First of all, the speed of saving on the flash drive decreases (but the speed of reading data from the drive is the same), and you have to be more careful to always remove the USB flash drive safely.


However, you can still format the Flash Drive in the NTFS format. Follow these steps for the same.

1.      Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port.

2.      Click Start, type devmgmt.msc in the Search textbox and press  Enter.

3.      Find Disk Drives and expand it.

4.      Find the USB flash drive you want to format, and double-click it. It opens the  Properties dialog box.

5.      Click Policies tab.

6.      By default, the  Optimize for quick removal option selected, switch it to Optimize for performance and then pressOK.

7.      Now open  Computer. Right click on the USB Flash Drive and select Format. The Format dialog box now appears.

8.      Select NTFS in the File System field.

9.      Press Start and wait while the process will be completed.

10.   Now your USB Flash Drive is formatted with NTFS format.

Regards,

Syed N – Microsoft Support


Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-01-25T17:43:11+00:00

    I bought a

    USB 2.0 memory stick rotate U disk 128gb flash drive thumbdrives pendrives InUSA

    Off eBay for $39. I emailed the person about it and they refunded my money and told me not to worry about returning it. I am running windows vista on my laptop and windows 7 on home computer, neither can pick it up, says windows can't format! HP has a Key Boot update, but for windows 2000, can't find it for windows vista or 7. I REALLY want to get this to work, and I told the seller if I get it to work, I would return their money. I tried the above solution, but there wasn't a "Policies tab" it only has "General" "drivers" and "Details" tabs

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-18T21:21:27+00:00

    i tried this and it still says it can not format the drive i need help

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-05-20T16:43:52+00:00

    I can cofirm JimmiVedsegaard Pedersen.

    My USB-Stick: 64 GB

    Usable for NTFS: about 13 GB

    I tested it with GParted.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-05-29T07:43:09+00:00

    Remove usb drive after Step 6 (optimize for performance), then plug it back in before Step 7 (format).

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments