Can't format USB drive in NTFS format

Anonymous
2010-06-07T17:17:06+00:00

Can't format USB drive in windows 7

I recently bought a kingston 64GBUSB flash drive.  This works fine but I need to  format it in NTFS and windows format says it can't complete the format. Can anyone help?  answer here or at *** Email address is removed for privacy ***.  Thank ahead of time.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-08T16:13:23+00:00

Hi,

By default, Windows provides the option to format a USB flash drive with FAT or FAT32 file systems only, but not with  NTFS (New Technology****File System.)

The reason behind this is that there are some disadvantages of NTFS usage in this case. First of all, the speed of saving on the flash drive decreases (but the speed of reading data from the drive is the same), and you have to be more careful to always remove the USB flash drive safely.


However, you can still format the Flash Drive in the NTFS format. Follow these steps for the same.

1.      Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port.

2.      Click Start, type devmgmt.msc in the Search textbox and press  Enter.

3.      Find Disk Drives and expand it.

4.      Find the USB flash drive you want to format, and double-click it. It opens the  Properties dialog box.

5.      Click Policies tab.

6.      By default, the  Optimize for quick removal option selected, switch it to Optimize for performance and then pressOK.

7.      Now open  Computer. Right click on the USB Flash Drive and select Format. The Format dialog box now appears.

8.      Select NTFS in the File System field.

9.      Press Start and wait while the process will be completed.

10.   Now your USB Flash Drive is formatted with NTFS format.

Regards,

Syed N – Microsoft Support


Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-03-27T13:07:55+00:00

    This did not help me.....I followed these instructions to the letter, but it still will not format to NTSF.

    The USB drive I'm using is a 64g "no name" low cost.  It formats to FAT just fine.....is drive quality a factor in NTFS formatting?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-12-13T15:29:04+00:00

    I had the same issue in Windows 10 today, i solved it by using rufus. A program that makes UBS-Sticks with any ISO bootable.

    Choose a random ISO and let rufus do his job, after that I was able to see the stick and format it with the windows integrated feature.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-11-10T23:31:08+00:00

    I have a Kingston data traveler USB 3.0, and when i try to format it to ntfs, it says that windows  was unable to complete the formatting, It's not write protected, and I optimized it for preformance, and it still doesn't do anything. PLEASE HELP

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-09-23T15:08:02+00:00

    I have the same issue and have tried 3 times now to change the eFAT32 to NTFS but it fails each time. I have done the procedure mentioned above and just the normal one from This Computer (using Win 10) format drive etc and it fails on that too. I only wanted to be able to convert the 128GB usb pen drive so I could back up my operating system to the pen drive and stick in my desk for possible use in the future.

    Has anyone successfully done this task? 

    Thanks

    Steve

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments