Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute. Please save your work now.

Anonymous
2010-08-12T06:16:08+00:00

Hi, everyone. Since I have installed Windows 7 Home Premium, I had problems with an error message displayed when I start my computer. The error message is saying, as in the title, "Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute. Please save your work now.". After one minute, the computer is forced to restart, it suddenly closes, without any "Windows is shutting down" message. The problem appears really often, I mean it doesn't appear every time I start my computer. I don't know what to do, it's really annoying.

I found a microsoft forum, when someone posted an article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976586/) when it was said something about "How to enable the Do not require Kerberos preauthentication account option", but I didn't understand how to do this. If someone can help me, please do it, every response is welcome. (Sorry my poor english, I'm still studying - romanian).

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-30T21:51:47+00:00

Hi again! I managed t solve the problem myself, using Kaspersky Rescue CD 10. It was the Win32/Trojan.Shutdowner virus and rootkit causing this error. I think this is the solution to all who have this problem. Download and burn to CD the kav rescue ISO image from http://rescuedisk.kaspersky-labs.com/rescuedisk/updatable/kav_rescue_10.iso. Do a full system scan booting from the disc you created. Remove all found infection, including that stupid annoying rootkit, and you're done! At least it worked for me! Thank you again to all who tried to help me!

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-06-19T03:37:07+00:00

    How would one simply do a full system scan booting from the disk?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-07-19T05:14:28+00:00

    I had the same problem.  Restarted the computer while pushing F8 to get into safe mode, then restored my system to an earlier date before I had the problem and it worked!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-07-26T20:05:47+00:00

    I have the exact same issue. I have Sophos and according to the Sophos website this virus checker SHOULD pick it up. NOt only has it failed to prevent infection (which from their ads it's meant to be excellent at doing) but it's allowed the virus to go unchecked for god knows how long, despite the fact I scan my system weekly.

    I'm tempted to demand a refund: so much for Sophos being the best!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-07-28T10:08:19+00:00

    Tried several of the solutions suggested below, but only one resolved the issue completely for me: I bought an adapter that converted my internal hard drive to external so that I could scan it from another machine with MS Windows Essentials. I preset the options to destroy harmful viruses and it blew the virus away. I then used a recovery disc to replace the removed startup files and all was well.

    The adapter simply slotted into the hard drive and had a USB cable - it cost 6 pounds.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments