Hi again! I managed t solve the problem myself, using Kaspersky Rescue CD 10. It was the Win32/Trojan.Shutdowner virus and rootkit causing this error. I think this is the solution to all who have this problem. Download and burn to CD the kav rescue ISO image from http://rescuedisk.kaspersky-labs.com/rescuedisk/updatable/kav_rescue_10.iso. Do a full system scan booting from the disc you created. Remove all found infection, including that stupid annoying rootkit, and you're done! At least it worked for me! Thank you again to all who tried to help me!
Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute. Please save your work now.
Hi, everyone. Since I have installed Windows 7 Home Premium, I had problems with an error message displayed when I start my computer. The error message is saying, as in the title, "Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute. Please save your work now.". After one minute, the computer is forced to restart, it suddenly closes, without any "Windows is shutting down" message. The problem appears really often, I mean it doesn't appear every time I start my computer. I don't know what to do, it's really annoying.
I found a microsoft forum, when someone posted an article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976586/) when it was said something about "How to enable the Do not require Kerberos preauthentication account option", but I didn't understand how to do this. If someone can help me, please do it, every response is welcome. (Sorry my poor english, I'm still studying - romanian).
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2010-10-08T12:22:13+00:00 Hi there.
Yesterday, I opened my bag to find that my water bottle opened up and quite a bit got out. The laptop was wet in parts, so I dried it and then turned it on. A black screen came up with a message along the lines of booting using a OS disc. So I turned it off, took out the battery and let it dry for a while. Turned it on again and this time it wouldn't go past the opening screen.
I turned it off again, and let it to dry again. I went back later and tested it, and it turned on with no issues. So I continued to use it for a while. After having it on for a while, I restarted the machone and then once again it wouldn't go past the opening screen.
So, I took out batter and left the machine to dry in the hot press for the night. When I woke up, I tested the machine and all was good, it was working fine, so I restarted it to see if it would work again, and then it did. So I packed it up and went off to work.
However when I took it out and opened it up, a message saying " windows has encountered........please save your work now" appeared. So I let it restart, and the message came up again. I've been testing it for the past hour trying different things. I tried safe mode, and it turned on and the message wasn't there, but instead everytime I opened a window it said "windows has stopped responding", other times when choosing safe mode it just goes to a black screen with only the mouse cursor visible (this is after all the drivers have been loaded)
I tried system restore and it didn't work.
So it seems that it either goes to a black screen just before the windows log-in screen and then reboots soon after or it loads up windows and this "windows has encountered........please save your work now" message appears.
Any advice?
My laptop is Acer 4810tz Winter Olympics Special Edition, 4GB ram, 500GB HDD.
Thanks
-
Anonymous
2010-10-20T01:04:58+00:00 JUST RUN THE CCLEANER PROGRAM
ITS FREE AND SO EASY
YOU HAVE TO CLEAN THE TRASH THAT HAS ON WINDOWS REGISTRY
I JUST MADE IT AND WORKED
-
Anonymous
2010-12-06T10:41:00+00:00 This problem is caused by different things, but in almost every case it is caused by a particularly nasty and hard-to-detect piece of malware. Usually, in cases like these, it is a good idea to either run an antivirus that detects and fixes it (which apparently seems to be very few as of this writing) or reinstall Windows. Essentially, what this version of the malware does is hide in system code and hijacks your services.exe file (a critical windows executable) and uses it to contact a plethora of nasty IP addresses that either activate code or send code to your computer that causes Windows to, essentially, freak out and shut down your computer. Have a look at this screen shot I took.
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2244/123fv.png
All the open connections by services.exe occurred just a second before I got the critical error message and were unauthorized by me. Windows Firewall allowed these outbound connections by services.exe because it is a trusted system file... but it doesn't know that it has been hijacked.
If you find yourself in a position where you need to get around this problem, all you have to do is create a custom rule in Windows Firewall (or any other firewall you may have installed) that restricts outbound connections by the services.exe file. If you're not sure how to do this, here's a step by step (for Windows 7):
Before you start, make sure to completely disconnect from the internet so that you don't get the error and get booted while you're in the middle of this.
- Open your Control Panel.
- Open up "Windows Firewall".
- Click "Advanced Settings" in the left pane.
- Select "Outbound Rules" in the left pane.
- Click "New Rule..." in the right pane.
- Select "Custom" and click Next.
- Select "This Program Path:" and click the "Browse..." button.
- Browse to \Windows\System32 (it should already be there).
- From the file list, find and select "services.exe" (it may just say "services" if you have extensions turned off)
- Click Next.
- Click Next again.
- Click Next yet again.
- Select "Block the connection" and click Next.
- Ensure all the boxes are checked and click Next.
- Give your new profile a name (it can be anything, I named mine "secure") and click Finish
- Reconnect to the internet.
You should be good now. Please keep in mind that this is just a band aid so that you can do whatever it is you need to do or if you find yourself in a position without resources or time to properly fix it (like I did). Your computer is still infected and you may lose access to some Windows features that use an internet connection like Windows Update. It seems someone had good luck with Kaspersky in fixing the issue, so I recommend you download that and run it. Hope this helped!
-
Anonymous
2011-02-28T06:19:55+00:00 I tried this rescue CD and can't find any malware or virus. So, not working.