Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute. Please save your work now.

Anonymous
2010-08-12T06:16:08+00:00

Hi, everyone. Since I have installed Windows 7 Home Premium, I had problems with an error message displayed when I start my computer. The error message is saying, as in the title, "Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute. Please save your work now.". After one minute, the computer is forced to restart, it suddenly closes, without any "Windows is shutting down" message. The problem appears really often, I mean it doesn't appear every time I start my computer. I don't know what to do, it's really annoying.

I found a microsoft forum, when someone posted an article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976586/) when it was said something about "How to enable the Do not require Kerberos preauthentication account option", but I didn't understand how to do this. If someone can help me, please do it, every response is welcome. (Sorry my poor english, I'm still studying - romanian).

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-30T21:51:47+00:00

Hi again! I managed t solve the problem myself, using Kaspersky Rescue CD 10. It was the Win32/Trojan.Shutdowner virus and rootkit causing this error. I think this is the solution to all who have this problem. Download and burn to CD the kav rescue ISO image from http://rescuedisk.kaspersky-labs.com/rescuedisk/updatable/kav_rescue_10.iso. Do a full system scan booting from the disc you created. Remove all found infection, including that stupid annoying rootkit, and you're done! At least it worked for me! Thank you again to all who tried to help me!

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-04-18T10:33:05+00:00

    Hi again! I managed t solve the problem myself, using Kaspersky Rescue CD 10. It was the Win32/Trojan.Shutdowner virus and rootkit causing this error. I think this is the solution to all who have this problem. Download and burn to CD the kav rescue ISO image from http://rescuedisk.kaspersky-labs.com/rescuedisk/updatable/kav_rescue_10.iso. Do a full system scan booting from the disc you created. Remove all found infection, including that stupid annoying rootkit, and you're done! At least it worked for me! Thank you again to all who tried to help me!

    Have the same issue, ran the kapersky cd but although it found some things it still restarts with the same message every so often, now running with clean boot.

    dont know what else it can be

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-01T15:56:17+00:00

    I had the same problem with my computer.This could be result of a malware in your computer.

    I tried the below steps and it worked for my computer.

    First you need to download a software called TDSSKiller from Kaspersky and somehow place it on the desktop of your computer for quick access.

    You can download it here.

    If you can boot your windows in safe mode with networking enabled, the download it and place it in your desktop.

    If not then you need to have a rescue disk or a live disk to place the software on the desktop.

    You can open the location in a file explorer of the rescue disk.

    It's location would be '/mnt/sda3/Users/YourUserName/Desktop'.

    It would be different for different rescue disks.

    Then restart your computer.

    This would be race against time.This can be solved before the restart takes place.

    As soon as you log in start the TDSSKiller and wait until it completes its scan.

    After it detects the malware, click on clean.

    Every option will be set to 'send to quarantine' automatically.

    do not select 'Delete' as it would delete infected system files and cause instability in your system.

    Your system will restart during the procedure after cleaning.

    This should have solved your problem.

    Download any antivirus and scan your computer for further malware.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments