Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute. Please save your work now.

Anonymous
2010-08-12T06:16:08+00:00

Hi, everyone. Since I have installed Windows 7 Home Premium, I had problems with an error message displayed when I start my computer. The error message is saying, as in the title, "Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute. Please save your work now.". After one minute, the computer is forced to restart, it suddenly closes, without any "Windows is shutting down" message. The problem appears really often, I mean it doesn't appear every time I start my computer. I don't know what to do, it's really annoying.

I found a microsoft forum, when someone posted an article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976586/) when it was said something about "How to enable the Do not require Kerberos preauthentication account option", but I didn't understand how to do this. If someone can help me, please do it, every response is welcome. (Sorry my poor english, I'm still studying - romanian).

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-30T21:51:47+00:00

Hi again! I managed t solve the problem myself, using Kaspersky Rescue CD 10. It was the Win32/Trojan.Shutdowner virus and rootkit causing this error. I think this is the solution to all who have this problem. Download and burn to CD the kav rescue ISO image from http://rescuedisk.kaspersky-labs.com/rescuedisk/updatable/kav_rescue_10.iso. Do a full system scan booting from the disc you created. Remove all found infection, including that stupid annoying rootkit, and you're done! At least it worked for me! Thank you again to all who tried to help me!

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2010-09-01T03:19:22+00:00

    Hi atronos2007

    Thanks again, excellent information.

    Thank You for using Windows 7


    Ronnie Vernon MVP

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-08-31T12:35:10+00:00

    The link for the ISO image is in my last post. You don't need to have a Kaspersky product installed, you only need a burner and a program for burning (Nero, IMGBurn, Ashampoo Burning Studio, CyberLink Power2Go) All you have to do is burn that image to a CD, and insert that CD when the computer is booting. Make sure that the booting sequence is correct (Floppy, CD/DVD, HDD) - you can change this from BIOS. Wait for the program to load, to update himself to the latest database (you must have an active internet connection to do this), and start scanning your entire hard drive. Note: you can surf the internet freely while scanning with the integrated browser.

    See http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/rescuedisk for more details.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-08-30T23:22:30+00:00

    Hi atronos2007

    Thanks for letting everyone know about your solution for this problem.

    One question, is it necessary to have a Kaspersky antivirus product installed to use that Rescue CD 10?

    Also, do you have a link to the Kaspersky website with the spcific instructions for creating and using that disk?

    Thanks,

    Thank You for using Windows 7


    Ronnie Vernon MVP

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments