Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute. Please save your work now.

Anonymous
2010-08-12T06:16:08+00:00

Hi, everyone. Since I have installed Windows 7 Home Premium, I had problems with an error message displayed when I start my computer. The error message is saying, as in the title, "Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute. Please save your work now.". After one minute, the computer is forced to restart, it suddenly closes, without any "Windows is shutting down" message. The problem appears really often, I mean it doesn't appear every time I start my computer. I don't know what to do, it's really annoying.

I found a microsoft forum, when someone posted an article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976586/) when it was said something about "How to enable the Do not require Kerberos preauthentication account option", but I didn't understand how to do this. If someone can help me, please do it, every response is welcome. (Sorry my poor english, I'm still studying - romanian).

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-30T21:51:47+00:00

Hi again! I managed t solve the problem myself, using Kaspersky Rescue CD 10. It was the Win32/Trojan.Shutdowner virus and rootkit causing this error. I think this is the solution to all who have this problem. Download and burn to CD the kav rescue ISO image from http://rescuedisk.kaspersky-labs.com/rescuedisk/updatable/kav_rescue_10.iso. Do a full system scan booting from the disc you created. Remove all found infection, including that stupid annoying rootkit, and you're done! At least it worked for me! Thank you again to all who tried to help me!

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-10-20T01:04:58+00:00

    JUST RUN THE CCLEANER PROGRAM

    ITS FREE AND SO EASY

    YOU HAVE TO CLEAN THE TRASH THAT HAS ON WINDOWS REGISTRY

    I JUST MADE IT AND WORKED

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-10-08T12:22:13+00:00

    Hi there.

    Yesterday, I opened my bag to find that my water bottle opened up and quite a bit got out. The laptop was wet in parts, so I dried it and then turned it on. A black screen came up with a message along the lines of booting using a OS disc. So I turned it off, took out the battery and let it dry for a while. Turned it on again and this time it wouldn't go past the opening screen.

    I turned it off again, and let it to dry again. I went back later and tested it, and it turned on with no issues. So I continued to use it for a while. After having it on for a while, I restarted the machone and then once again it wouldn't go past the opening screen.

    So, I took out batter and left the machine to dry in the hot press for the night. When I woke up, I tested the machine and all was good, it was working fine, so I restarted it to see if it would work again, and then it did. So I packed it up and went off to work.

    However when I took it out and opened it up, a message saying " windows has encountered........please save your work now" appeared. So I let it restart, and the message came up again. I've been testing it for the past hour trying different things. I tried safe mode, and it turned on and the message wasn't there, but instead everytime I opened a window it said "windows has stopped responding", other times when choosing safe mode it just goes to a black screen with only the mouse cursor visible (this is after all the drivers have been loaded)

    I tried system restore and it didn't work.

    So it seems that it either goes to a black screen just before the windows log-in screen and then reboots soon after or it loads up windows and this "windows has encountered........please save your work now" message appears.

    Any advice?

    My laptop is Acer 4810tz Winter Olympics Special Edition, 4GB ram, 500GB HDD.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-09-15T08:57:28+00:00

    Hey guys, when you recieve the license agreement, left-click on the text first before pressing A. It will work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-09-14T15:41:16+00:00

    To pass the license agreement you should be sure that the window has focus. It happened to me that I should click on the title bar before getting the 'A' accepted. Another thing that should bear in mind is that some trojans downloads new trojan. So, what I needed to do to *rescue* my laptop (thanks to your advices) was to refrain myself from logging into windows for several days. I downloaded each update and scan the computer for 3 or 4 days in a row. And, as I did not try to log the computer into windows... Kaspersky's last update knew about 'new' viruses. After several days... all the trojan were already known and I could kill them all without allowing them to download new trojan. It's been two weeks since my computer got out of this 'comma'.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments