Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute. Please save your work now.

Anonymous
2010-08-12T06:16:08+00:00

Hi, everyone. Since I have installed Windows 7 Home Premium, I had problems with an error message displayed when I start my computer. The error message is saying, as in the title, "Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute. Please save your work now.". After one minute, the computer is forced to restart, it suddenly closes, without any "Windows is shutting down" message. The problem appears really often, I mean it doesn't appear every time I start my computer. I don't know what to do, it's really annoying.

I found a microsoft forum, when someone posted an article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976586/) when it was said something about "How to enable the Do not require Kerberos preauthentication account option", but I didn't understand how to do this. If someone can help me, please do it, every response is welcome. (Sorry my poor english, I'm still studying - romanian).

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-30T21:51:47+00:00

Hi again! I managed t solve the problem myself, using Kaspersky Rescue CD 10. It was the Win32/Trojan.Shutdowner virus and rootkit causing this error. I think this is the solution to all who have this problem. Download and burn to CD the kav rescue ISO image from http://rescuedisk.kaspersky-labs.com/rescuedisk/updatable/kav_rescue_10.iso. Do a full system scan booting from the disc you created. Remove all found infection, including that stupid annoying rootkit, and you're done! At least it worked for me! Thank you again to all who tried to help me!

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-09-15T08:57:28+00:00

    Hey guys, when you recieve the license agreement, left-click on the text first before pressing A. It will work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-09-14T15:41:16+00:00

    To pass the license agreement you should be sure that the window has focus. It happened to me that I should click on the title bar before getting the 'A' accepted. Another thing that should bear in mind is that some trojans downloads new trojan. So, what I needed to do to *rescue* my laptop (thanks to your advices) was to refrain myself from logging into windows for several days. I downloaded each update and scan the computer for 3 or 4 days in a row. And, as I did not try to log the computer into windows... Kaspersky's last update knew about 'new' viruses. After several days... all the trojan were already known and I could kill them all without allowing them to download new trojan. It's been two weeks since my computer got out of this 'comma'.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-09-09T13:30:33+00:00

    http://ohterlus.livejournal.com/

    That will fix it for you.

    Srr. The thread I was talking about was this same one and here is the post from Psyence.

    Thanks

    Edit: This worked well for me. I recommend using lupu-5.1.1 which is the fir name for Lucid Puppy 5.1 (a version of Puppy linux) n if ur CD/DVD burner gives u troube burning the ISO, lower the burning speed to 8x or one that works for u.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-09-09T09:22:03+00:00

    I recieved the same message saying that winndows would restart in a minute n it did but not foowing standard procedures.

    I've tried all the solutions that I've been able to find in different forums but not one has worked yet. I also tried atronos2007's kaspersky thing and it doesn't let me go past the license agreement. It asks me to press "A" to accept n when I do, nothing.

    So the best conclusion I was able to come up with is that it's related to the internet connection since the message only comes up when in windows normally n in safe mode with networking. Not in safe mode.

    My operating system is Windows 7 utimate 32bit. Does anyone have a soution?

     

    Edit: After booting the computer a few times, it tells me that a critical system driver failed to load. I know  that can be repared be using the installation disc n reparing windows but it might be important information.

     -File: \Windows\System32\Drivers\imvaqvfp.sys

    -Status: 0xc0000098

    Hi

    I would be very suspicious of that error message.

    The error returns as:

    0xC0000098: The volume for a file has been externally altered such that the opened file is no longer valid. STATUS_FILE_INVALID.

    Run a complete scan of the computer with the installed antivirus program.

    I would also suggest using a an online virus scanner to double check your computer.

    Microsoft has an online scanner available for Windows 7. Go to the following website and click on the Full Service Scan button.  Windows Live OneCare safety scanner for Windows 7

    Let us know what you find.

    Thank You for using Windows 7


    Ronnie Vernon MVP

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments