Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute. Please save your work now.

Anonymous
2010-08-12T06:16:08+00:00

Hi, everyone. Since I have installed Windows 7 Home Premium, I had problems with an error message displayed when I start my computer. The error message is saying, as in the title, "Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute. Please save your work now.". After one minute, the computer is forced to restart, it suddenly closes, without any "Windows is shutting down" message. The problem appears really often, I mean it doesn't appear every time I start my computer. I don't know what to do, it's really annoying.

I found a microsoft forum, when someone posted an article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976586/) when it was said something about "How to enable the Do not require Kerberos preauthentication account option", but I didn't understand how to do this. If someone can help me, please do it, every response is welcome. (Sorry my poor english, I'm still studying - romanian).

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-08-30T21:51:47+00:00

Hi again! I managed t solve the problem myself, using Kaspersky Rescue CD 10. It was the Win32/Trojan.Shutdowner virus and rootkit causing this error. I think this is the solution to all who have this problem. Download and burn to CD the kav rescue ISO image from http://rescuedisk.kaspersky-labs.com/rescuedisk/updatable/kav_rescue_10.iso. Do a full system scan booting from the disc you created. Remove all found infection, including that stupid annoying rootkit, and you're done! At least it worked for me! Thank you again to all who tried to help me!

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-09-09T13:23:49+00:00

    Thanks for the reply.

    I searched on another thread of someone who has/had a probem assimiating mine a bit more n by usingAvast Free Antivirus u are able to find the cause.

    It is a "rootkit" which is installed in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\imvaqvfp.sys and when u click Properties to see more about the file, everything is different from the other sys files which makes it's malware affilation more obvious.

    I got this website http://ohterlus.livejournal.com/ from another thread in here n I am trying their solution right now.

    Thanks again for the help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-09-09T01:31:45+00:00

    I recieved the same message saying that winndows would restart in a minute n it did but not foowing standard procedures.

    I've tried all the solutions that I've been able to find in different forums but not one has worked yet. I also tried atronos2007's kaspersky thing and it doesn't let me go past the license agreement. It asks me to press "A" to accept n when I do, nothing.

    So the best conclusion I was able to come up with is that it's related to the internet connection since the message only comes up when in windows normally n in safe mode with networking. Not in safe mode.

    My operating system is Windows 7 utimate 32bit. Does anyone have a soution?

    Edit: After booting the computer a few times, it tells me that a critical system driver failed to load. I know  that can be repared be using the installation disc n reparing windows but it might be important information.

     -File: \Windows\System32\Drivers\imvaqvfp.sys

    -Status: 0xc0000098

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-08-19T09:04:58+00:00

    hi i have the same problem as bingbingbang when ever i turn the wifi on, ive checked for viruses but haven't found anything, i did have something trying to install when i turned the pc on about 6hours before it happened, but i canceled it, and i didn't really read what it was something to do with the desktop. i managed to stop the computer shutting down with the shutdown-a shortcut mensioned above although half the time it didn't work, but then it wouldn't allow me to open programs and when i clicked on a pinned to task bar item all the pinned icons went, hope you can figure it out!

    thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-08-17T09:40:31+00:00

    Hi atronos2007,

    We are glad to hear that you were able to find a fix to the issue and I thank you for the information provided. Please feel free to contact us back, in case you face any other issues in future.


    Thanks and Regards:

    Shekhar S - Microsoft Support. Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments