Microsoft Fix for .net framework download failure received today (Oct. 19)

Anonymous
2009-10-19T20:04:25+00:00

I have been receiving information from a Microsoft Tech since last Thursday on how to repair the problem with Windows Update failure to dowload the .net framework security updates.

I received the following fix this morning which repaired the problem. This is for those using Windows XP.

Be sure and following the instructions carefully.

Plus, I'm sure many of you are seeing the Windows Update icon in your system tray right now. Donot download those updates until you have finished all of the below.

The fix cleans your computer of all previous .net framwork files, subfiles and registery keys and you begin with a clean start.

This is not the Clean Install software that was recommended to us several days ago that didnot work. This is new and it fixed the problem on my computer.

Again, donot download the Windows Updates currently sitting in your system tray until you've completed all of the following:

------------------------------------------------------------------- 

I understand that the following 2 updates still cannot be installed. The error code 0x645 is received.


Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417)

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86


In order to narrow down the cause of this issue and resolve it, please refer to the following steps.

Step 1: Use .Net Framework CleanUp Utility

============================================

  1. Please download the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool from the following link:

http://windowsuu.com/tools/dotnetfx\_cleanup\_tool.zip

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

  1. Unzip the file and then close all the open windows.
  2. Double click Cleanup_tool.exe to run it, and then select the .Net Framework 2.0 in the list box. Click “OK”, click “Yes”, and click “Cleanup Now” to remove it completely. After that, please also remove the .NET 3.5.

Step 2: Reinstall .NET Framework Version 2.0, 3.5 and their updates

==================================================

Please download and install the following updates in order.

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/7/567758a3-759e-473e-bf8f-52154438565a/dotnetfx.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2

http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/6/e/c6e88215-0178-4c6c-b5f3-158ff77b1f38/NetFx20SP2\_x86.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/0/1/A01064A3-CAB0-4851-9C54-56A980FF00EB/NDP20SP2-KB974417-x86.exe

After that, please restart the computer and then install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and its update.

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/E/20E90413-712F-438C-988E-FDAA79A8AC3D/dotnetfx35.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update

http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/6/A/C6ADC586-2518-404B-8973-E1E22C556AF4/NDP35SP1-KB958484-x86.exe

Note: When the file download window appears, please click "Save", and follow the directions to save it on the Desktop. After downloading the setup file on your Desktop, double-click to manually install it.

However, if any error is encountered when installing, please capture a screenshot of the error message:

How to capture a Screenshot:

======================

  1. When the error appears, please press the "Print Screen" key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
  2. Click "Start", click "Run", type MSPAINT, and click "OK".
  3. In Paint, click "Paste" under the "Edit" Menu, click "Save" under the "File" menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click "Save".
  4. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment to: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***.

Please try my suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.

I look forward to your response.

Best Regards,

William Zhao

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Microsoft Windows Update Support Professional

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-20T14:38:51+00:00

Hey I just noticed that I can't mark the initial post as Answered, so I'll just mark this post as answered and give you some helpful votes instead :)

Thanks Jamesa1946 for the great information!  I am sure this will help anyone that has issues with the recent .Net Framework 2.0 and 3.5 updates.

Thanks.,


If you find that my answer was what you were looking for, please remember to click the "mark as answer" box below!

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-04-25T14:17:23+00:00

    I have had the problem of KB 974417, security update for .Net Framework 2 SP2. Looking at all the comments and the huge hassle I wonder if it is just another security fix you do not need. In my experience over many years the biggest source of trouble is from Microsoft Update which creates fixes for abstruse problem created by hacker nerds who have nothing better to do.

    If you have a good firewall, AV app and anti-Malware app installed you do not need most of the security fixes which clog up the system and of course pave the way for Microsoft to produce a new OS instead of concentrating on improving an established OS - like XP. Of course that would be bad for their cash flow. However just think what you would say if your auto manufacturer told you that after 5 years you HAD to buy a new car 'cos now he had a better one to sell. So in a way Microsoft is an inverted Toyota.

    Short answer is that you should not install security patches you do not need and if you are working for a company with an effective IT department leave it to them. Avery old saying

    IF it ain't broke, don't fix it"

    Is as true to day as when it was coined by my father Thomas Murphy in 1917


    John Douglas Butler

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-05-12T20:02:53+00:00

    Hi All, 

      On 5/11/2010 the update KB974417, security update for .Net Framework 2 SP2 failed with error 0x66A.  I did use the .NET cleanup tool and reinstalled all .NET updates in order.  This worked except the process totally hosed my Nero installation.  I restored from an April image and updated all but this one update, which of course failed again.  I need to know how to sort it out without hosing software that depends on the .NET framework.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-05-12T21:00:33+00:00

    @best1syn2oil: Contact Nero Support.


    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-05-14T00:23:34+00:00

    Hi friend!! Thank you for your fix!! It seems to have worked!! I have very little use for Bill Gates!! I wonder how many people could follow your instructions. It took me a couple of hours , but I'm not getting the up date for KB974417 telling me it failed. I'm very grateful for your fix my friend. I know some day I will have to give in and install Windows 7 and give poor old Bill 150$. I feel so bad for the poor fellow. I love my XP3 and I'm going to kick and fight all the way to keep it as long as I can!! I'm going to see if I can insert a link to my forum.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments