Microsoft Fix for .net framework download failure received today (Oct. 19)

Anonymous
2009-10-19T20:04:25+00:00

I have been receiving information from a Microsoft Tech since last Thursday on how to repair the problem with Windows Update failure to dowload the .net framework security updates.

I received the following fix this morning which repaired the problem. This is for those using Windows XP.

Be sure and following the instructions carefully.

Plus, I'm sure many of you are seeing the Windows Update icon in your system tray right now. Donot download those updates until you have finished all of the below.

The fix cleans your computer of all previous .net framwork files, subfiles and registery keys and you begin with a clean start.

This is not the Clean Install software that was recommended to us several days ago that didnot work. This is new and it fixed the problem on my computer.

Again, donot download the Windows Updates currently sitting in your system tray until you've completed all of the following:

------------------------------------------------------------------- 

I understand that the following 2 updates still cannot be installed. The error code 0x645 is received.


Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417)

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86


In order to narrow down the cause of this issue and resolve it, please refer to the following steps.

Step 1: Use .Net Framework CleanUp Utility

============================================

  1. Please download the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool from the following link:

http://windowsuu.com/tools/dotnetfx\_cleanup\_tool.zip

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

  1. Unzip the file and then close all the open windows.
  2. Double click Cleanup_tool.exe to run it, and then select the .Net Framework 2.0 in the list box. Click “OK”, click “Yes”, and click “Cleanup Now” to remove it completely. After that, please also remove the .NET 3.5.

Step 2: Reinstall .NET Framework Version 2.0, 3.5 and their updates

==================================================

Please download and install the following updates in order.

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/7/567758a3-759e-473e-bf8f-52154438565a/dotnetfx.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2

http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/6/e/c6e88215-0178-4c6c-b5f3-158ff77b1f38/NetFx20SP2\_x86.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/0/1/A01064A3-CAB0-4851-9C54-56A980FF00EB/NDP20SP2-KB974417-x86.exe

After that, please restart the computer and then install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and its update.

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/E/20E90413-712F-438C-988E-FDAA79A8AC3D/dotnetfx35.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update

http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/6/A/C6ADC586-2518-404B-8973-E1E22C556AF4/NDP35SP1-KB958484-x86.exe

Note: When the file download window appears, please click "Save", and follow the directions to save it on the Desktop. After downloading the setup file on your Desktop, double-click to manually install it.

However, if any error is encountered when installing, please capture a screenshot of the error message:

How to capture a Screenshot:

======================

  1. When the error appears, please press the "Print Screen" key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
  2. Click "Start", click "Run", type MSPAINT, and click "OK".
  3. In Paint, click "Paste" under the "Edit" Menu, click "Save" under the "File" menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click "Save".
  4. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment to: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***.

Please try my suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.

I look forward to your response.

Best Regards,

William Zhao

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Microsoft Windows Update Support Professional

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-20T14:38:51+00:00

Hey I just noticed that I can't mark the initial post as Answered, so I'll just mark this post as answered and give you some helpful votes instead :)

Thanks Jamesa1946 for the great information!  I am sure this will help anyone that has issues with the recent .Net Framework 2.0 and 3.5 updates.

Thanks.,


If you find that my answer was what you were looking for, please remember to click the "mark as answer" box below!

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-11-08T18:50:20+00:00

    I too am trying to recover from corrupted .Net files.  This post looked promising and I have done fine thru the "removal tool" and reinstallation of v2.0.  When I go to the next step, the installation of v2.0 sp-2 (what happened to sp-1, is it not necessary?)  I get an 1601 error....

    "[11/07/09,14:51:50] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1601

    [11/07/09,14:52:00] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a is not installed."

    What am I doing wrong?  I'm running on Windows XP-SP3.  I installed it 2 years ago on a clean hard drive with an "upgrade" version.  At the time, I had the cd for my previous version (2000) but have since misplaced it.  I have been considering reinstalling the OS but that is certainly the last resort.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-11-03T17:13:10+00:00

    worked for me!!! thank you so much - saved taking my computer to the doctor :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-10-29T02:45:48+00:00

    That little yellow update triangle MONSTER was stuck on my Taskbar for ages,but thanks to this easy to follow fix,even a relative noob can get rid of this until now unsolvable problem.

     Thankyou for letting us all share the knowledge in such a straightforward manner. Why can't everyone explain things in such a concise,helpful way?

     Anyone having doubts FEAR NOT, IT WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-10-28T00:53:09+00:00

    What a huge PITA! That said, "Thanks so much for the solution William" You're brilliant.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments