Desktop Tray Agent has stopped working

Anonymous
2010-02-03T04:08:18+00:00

I keep getting this error message after start up, any clues on what to do to get rid of it?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-08T00:16:03+00:00

the easier way to fix the issue is: left click on start, in start search, type msconfig, hit enter, if you get a message obx, click continue.  This will bring up the system configuration screen.  Click the tab entitled "Startup".  Scroll down to find the desktop agent tray entry.  Unclick the check box by it.  Hit Apply on the bottom.  Then click ok.  This will fix the issue.  This is a program used by qwest to update their installer when setting up DSL and is not needed by you - the common user.

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-04-24T21:30:31+00:00

"Desktop Tray Agent" if you take a closer look at the error it will say something about qwest touchpoint agent. qwest touchpoint agent is like the updater of qwest installer. Just remove the qwest installer through add/remove programs and you should be good to go.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-04-14T14:39:11+00:00

    The same thing happened to me about 5 days ago. I have Vista and also Qwest. I thought it was because I downloaded some Windows updates. Also my computer is a lot slower and seems to hesitate at times when downloading a new page. I have only had Qwest about a month but it was always fine before.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-04-13T10:41:37+00:00

    If the software version in question isn't "ready" for Vista, it would be unlikely that it would also be unready for Windows 7.

    Has anyone tried running the application in Windows XP Compatibility Mode?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-04-13T10:17:24+00:00

    Vista isn't the problem .  I have Windows 7 and am having the exact same issue.  I was just now trying to troubleshoot this problem and found you all.  I also tried started my computer in safe mode and it didn't help.  I did discover that it has to do with the file "Microsoft.NET"  --------  Now, you may be saying, "Duh man, we knew that " lol  :-)  but, well, I didn't, and really don't understand what it even is. 

    So, okay, after it shows that message and scans for a solution, everything seems to work fine.  BUT, something is awry, obviously, and I am wondering if I inadvertently deleted a file somewhere along the way.  

    I also have Qwest broadband, Josh, so I'm wondering if something is going on with them.  But then again, I've had Qwest for three years and never once saw this error message on my old computer.

    I'm curious to know when this problem started for everybody... It started for me about four days ago. 

    Okay, I'm done.  Thanks to everybody who wrote here trying to help us.

    -Billy Ledbetter, Portland (Oregon)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments