Desktop Tray Agent has stopped working

Anonymous
2010-02-03T04:08:18+00:00

I keep getting this error message after start up, any clues on what to do to get rid of it?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-08T00:16:03+00:00

the easier way to fix the issue is: left click on start, in start search, type msconfig, hit enter, if you get a message obx, click continue.  This will bring up the system configuration screen.  Click the tab entitled "Startup".  Scroll down to find the desktop agent tray entry.  Unclick the check box by it.  Hit Apply on the bottom.  Then click ok.  This will fix the issue.  This is a program used by qwest to update their installer when setting up DSL and is not needed by you - the common user.

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-04-24T21:30:31+00:00

"Desktop Tray Agent" if you take a closer look at the error it will say something about qwest touchpoint agent. qwest touchpoint agent is like the updater of qwest installer. Just remove the qwest installer through add/remove programs and you should be good to go.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-04-18T20:13:15+00:00

    Hi everyone,

    I hate to beat the same drum here, but I need to know if you still get the error in Safe Mode. Safe mode doesn't solve the problem, instead it determines if there is a 3rd party product causing the error or if Windows is causing the error. Follow the steps below:

    Method 1 : Put the computer in Safe mode and see if the error persists:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

    Method 2: Clean boot

    If the error does not repeat in Safe mode then there is likely a startup item or service is causing the error. Follow the steps found on the following link to pinpoint the item or service causing the error:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135


    Cody C

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-04-18T01:58:32+00:00

    Yes, I continue to get the message too.  I use Qwest and Windows 7.  It started on April 15th and now my wireless does not work.  I've tried re-installing the drivers and the clean boot, neither work.  I am also getting "ccp has stopped working".  I have also tried system restore.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-04-15T16:41:23+00:00

    I did not start having an issue until I tried to use the qwest vault for storage and I have to install some software. I just went and clicked on the qwest icon that looks like a yellow ball with a check mark in it and got the same message again. I was not using the vault so I uninstalled that program, booted my sys again and the error did not come back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments