Desktop Tray Agent has stopped working

Anonymous
2010-02-03T04:08:18+00:00

I keep getting this error message after start up, any clues on what to do to get rid of it?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-08T00:16:03+00:00

the easier way to fix the issue is: left click on start, in start search, type msconfig, hit enter, if you get a message obx, click continue.  This will bring up the system configuration screen.  Click the tab entitled "Startup".  Scroll down to find the desktop agent tray entry.  Unclick the check box by it.  Hit Apply on the bottom.  Then click ok.  This will fix the issue.  This is a program used by qwest to update their installer when setting up DSL and is not needed by you - the common user.

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-04-24T21:30:31+00:00

"Desktop Tray Agent" if you take a closer look at the error it will say something about qwest touchpoint agent. qwest touchpoint agent is like the updater of qwest installer. Just remove the qwest installer through add/remove programs and you should be good to go.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-04-13T10:17:24+00:00

    Vista isn't the problem .  I have Windows 7 and am having the exact same issue.  I was just now trying to troubleshoot this problem and found you all.  I also tried started my computer in safe mode and it didn't help.  I did discover that it has to do with the file "Microsoft.NET"  --------  Now, you may be saying, "Duh man, we knew that " lol  :-)  but, well, I didn't, and really don't understand what it even is. 

    So, okay, after it shows that message and scans for a solution, everything seems to work fine.  BUT, something is awry, obviously, and I am wondering if I inadvertently deleted a file somewhere along the way.  

    I also have Qwest broadband, Josh, so I'm wondering if something is going on with them.  But then again, I've had Qwest for three years and never once saw this error message on my old computer.

    I'm curious to know when this problem started for everybody... It started for me about four days ago. 

    Okay, I'm done.  Thanks to everybody who wrote here trying to help us.

    -Billy Ledbetter, Portland (Oregon)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-04-11T22:10:38+00:00

    Have you contacted the makers of the software involved, or checked for program updates? It sounds like at least some of the software is not "ready" for Vista...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-04-11T17:28:23+00:00

    I have a similar problem which may shed some light on the issue -- after upgrading my broadband (DSL) service and installing the broadband software supplied by Qwest, every user (running Vista 64-bit) gets a request for admin permission to run "Qwest TouchPoint Agent" for "User Account Control". Whether one provides permission or not, this is followed by "DesktopAgentTray has stopped working".

    I suspect some conflict between Qwest's stuff and DAT. Anyone know if this is a known conflict, and if there's a fix?

    -Josh Hayes, Seattle

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments