Blue Screen 0x0000006B - PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

Anonymous
2010-08-17T01:32:35+00:00

original title: BSOD 0x0000006B - Work-around does NOT resolve issue - Win7 Pro x86

Running Windows 7 Pro x86 on an Asus EeePC 1000HE.  I haven't had a blue screen in three months.  Shocking.  Now, when booting (normally, safe mode, whatever) after the loading screen, before the user password screen, a blue screen appears.

PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

STOP: 0x0000006B (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I have checked the numbers many times and have pictures of the screen to verify (taken from my phone).  I tried the work-around as described in KB981833 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981833). I used an Ubuntu 8 LiveCD to navigate to /Windows/System32/CodeIntegrity/ and deleted the Bootcat.cache file.  After several reboots, the blue screen still persists with the same error codes and the Bootcat.cache files has not reappeared.  I can confirm that it is not a hardware problem because the other OSs (Mac OSX 10.6.1. Eeebuntu) still boot and operate normally off the same hard drive.  This is just a Windows problem.  (Suprise, suprise)

Also, the startup repair on the Windows 7 install disc found nothing and did nothing.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-08-17T15:41:53+00:00

    Check these :

    "STOP: 0x0000006B" Stop error message during startup on a computer that is running Windows 7

    or Windows Server 2008 R2

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981833

    The proposed solutions did not work.  Any other suggestions?  And please be aware: since Windows will not boot, I am unable to install any "hotfixes", check any settings, or even look at the driver information.

    (And btw, an attentive reading of my original post (or even the title) would inform you that the solution in your prized article did nothing to solve my problem.  That's why I'm posting in these forums.  I'm more of a power-user than most, so I only post when I absolutely have to.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-08-17T16:56:15+00:00

    Hi,

    Those are the recommended solutions from Microsoft and FaultWire which are both creditable

    sources. As a poweruser you should know that all solutions do not always work. Did you try

    the methods in the troubleshooter?

    If those methods do not help then about the only things left are hardware and trying a re-installation

    to try to see if that helps identify anything as probable cause.


    Rob Brown - MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-08-18T03:21:18+00:00

    Okay, I apologize for my attitude towards you.  Thank you for trying to help me with this.

    One thing that is very puzzling to me is the list of parameters on the BSOD: (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).  Is there anything significant about the fact that they are all zeros?  Other occurrences of this error that I have read about list various parameters, all different, but never all zeros.

    1.  I would indeed like to use the MyEventViewer and the BlueScreenView utilities.  Since I can't boot Windows to run them, are there any similar applications that can be run in Linux or Mac OSX to access the disk?  The computer is still able to boot those, so I am still able to access all my Windows files.  Or, could I run those tools on a separate PC and somehow point them to my Windows 7 machine? (There are three Vista machines, three XP machines, three Linux boxes, and two Macs in this household that I have easy access to, if they can be on any help.)  I also have a registry editor and account editor on a bootable CD, if I can dig in that way and disable drivers through the registry.

    2.  Also, the "startup repair" function of the Win7 install disk was unable to detect the problem.  Today I ran the extended version of the RAM test that is on the CD, but it said the results would be displayed the next time I logged in.  Are there any commands that can I use in its command prompt to view the event logs and the BSOD memory dump of the system? (I used to have a list of useful commands written down somewhere but I've lost it long ago.)

    3.  I recall that there are more options on the boot menu (the one with all the Safe Mode options) that make it possible to turn off the automatic reboot after a BSOD.  I've been told to try F8 but that doesn't appear to respond on this menu.

    Thank you for your time!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-08-18T03:56:45+00:00

    Hi,

    Is this system using RAID? This looks very much like a cabling, hard driver controller, or some

    hardware function on the drive or motherboard which is affecting Windows but not the other

    OS's which is very possible. In fact, since the Linux booted off the optical drive its very likely

    an issue involving the hard drive.


    The 1st parameter is The NT status code that caused the failure - which means there was no

    applicable code. The other 3 parameters are Reserved which mean they have no meaning.


    Copy the C:\Windows\Minidump  files on to removable media using one of the other OS's

    and then paste into same place on another Windows 7 machine. Run BlueScreenView on

    it. Also you can run WinDBG if installed on the other machine.

    How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263/en-us?p=1

    Download and Install Debugging Tools for Windows

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx

    BlueScreenView is considerably easier to use (by a factor of 1,000).


    Check this fix which is for XP however it can work on Windows 7 as well.

    STOP 0x0000006B Process1_Initialization_Failed

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/163240

    How to Extract Files from the Windows 7 Installation DVD

    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/42776-extract-files-windows-7-installation-dvd.html

    How to extract missing system files from the DVD of Windows 7/Vista.

    http://blog.nirsoft.net/2009/09/17/how-to-extract-missing-system-files-from-the-dvd-of-windows-7vista/

    Of course you can't do it on that machine in Windows 7 so you will need to find another route.


    Check the FaultWire link and the Research This Issue.

    BCCode: 6B   0x0000006B  <-- read thishttp://www.faultwire.com/solutions-fatal\_error/PROCESS1-INITIALIZATION-FAILED-0x0000006B-\*1122.html


    Think hard driver related issues.

    Hope this helps.


    Rob Brown - MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2010-08-19T16:51:14+00:00

    No RAID on this machine.  It is a 10-inch netbook with a single 160Gb hard drive.  Linux booted off of an optical usb drive, but Ubuntu and also OSX Snow Leopard are still able to boot off of the internal hard drive, the same one that Windows 7 is on.  OSX has the first 80GB, Ubuntu has an ~8Gb slice in the middle, and Windows 7 has the remaining ~71Gb.  I will definitely copy the dump files and use BlueScreenView on them...

    1.  OKAY... I tried to get the dump files, but C:/Windows/Minidump does not seem to exist on my system (I also made sure to look in case it was a hidden or system folder.)  Also, I could not find any .dmp files anywhere else in my system (I looked in root, /Windows, and /System32).  I found the extended boot menu and disable "reboot on system failure", so I was able to see the message that said it finished the memory dump.  I also booted in "Debug Mode" and "enabled boot logging" which both resulted in the same BSOD, but I cannot find ntbtlog.txt from those, either.

    2.  I tried to run "sfc /scannow" from the install disk, and it says something like "unable to check system because there are other system repairs pending, please reboot your computer and try again."  Well, I have no idea what repairs it's talking about, and I can't reboot like it wants me to because of this BSOD.  Is there any way to cancel the pending repairs or force sfc to run anyways?

    EDIT 2.  I found /Windows/Winsxs/reboot.xml, and it contained the following.  Could this be stopping sfc?

    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>

    <PendingTransaction Version="3.1">

        <POQ>

            <DeleteKeyValue path="\Registry\Machine\COMPONENTS" name="PendingRequired"/>

        </POQ>

    </PendingTransaction>

    3.  "The 1st parameter is The NT status code that caused the failure - which means there was no applicable code."  So, does this mean that there were no software errors to report?

    4.  At the end of Startup Repair, when it found no errors to fix, it gave me this info:

    Problem signature:

      Problem Event Name:    StartupRepairOffline

      Problem Signature 01:    6.1.7600.16385

      Problem Signature 02:    6.1.7600.16385

      Problem Signature 03:    unknown

      Problem Signature 04:    21200990

      Problem Signature 05:    ExternalMedia

      Problem Signature 06:    6

      Problem Signature 07:    0x6b

      OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

      Locale ID:    1033

    btw, +1 for including notepad in the repair command prompt :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments