"You are running out of disk space on RECOVERY (D:)" message.

Anonymous
2008-12-10T21:33:57+00:00

From: Robert Judge

On my new VISTA PC, I tried to use the built-in Backup program.  The back-up apparently failed because there was not enough room on the "RECOVERY (D:) disk.

Now, when I re-start my new VISTA PC, I get this message:

"Low Disk Space You are running out of disk space on RECOVERY (D:). To free space on this drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click here..."

When I "Click here," I am then offered "Disk Cleanup for RECOVERY (D:)."  The Disk Cleanup offers "Office Setup Files" and "Recycle Bin," but both have "0 bytes" so I can't free up space that way.

When I open the Backup and Restore center and try to backup files, the program starts by "Creating a shadow copy."  However, I then get a message:

"An error occurred...There is not enough space to save the backup files. 

Free up disk space or change yur backup settings. (0x81000005)."

If I have limited space on "RECOVERY D," I only need to backup Documents.  But even when I only check "Documents," I get the same error message.

I am thinking that I should delete the contents of RECOERY D and try to start over again.  However, there appears to be some files that came already installed on RECOVERY D.  However, I see a folder called "Backup Set 2008-06-08 193208," which I assume is the failed backup that I tried on June 6.  Should I just delete that folder and try again?  Or is there some other way I should try to use the "Backup and Restore" program?  I will appreciate advice.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-02-20T14:59:40+00:00

Mickie,

As Ryan pointed to, the Recovery D drive should not be used for storage, did you install anything to it directly?

If you were attempting to backup and then canceled or failed, then follow these directions:

  1. Click

Windows Logo (Start) -> In Start Search type Backup Status and Configuration 2. Next to "Automatic backup is currently turned on" Click Turn Off 3. Close the window.

Next we will need to remove the incomplete files that were saved on your D drive.

To do this you will need to click Start click Computer, then double-click Local Disk (D:)

Here you will find two things, a MediaID.bin file  and a folder with the same name as your computer (you can confirm this by finding a Backup Set folder inside this one), you will need to delete both to get rid of the message. Let us know if you require help figuring out the name of this Folder.


Rami

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2008-12-10T21:34:32+00:00

From: Mick Murphy

Your D: Partition is a partition set up on your computer by the Manufacturer in case of serious problems in the Vista operation system.

DO NOT TOUCH IT.

You are supposed to make recovery DVDs from it to reinstall Vista in case of complete Hard Drive failure.

Also, at Startup, there is an F Key option to reinstall vista from it, back to factory standards, in case of System crash.

To Backup your System/Data, buy an external Hard drive, and save to that.

--

Mick Murphy - Qld – Australia

Another community answer from the Windows Vista newsgroups

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-01-09T01:20:51+00:00

    Hi, my name is Mario and i have the same problem. Everytime i turn on my computer the recovery disk 'D' shows that is full. I have tried unsuccessfully to delete all files according to the specifications shown above with no success.

    At one time it gave me some space gaining some recovery but sudennly it comes back to the same.

    Could somebody, please help me to resolve this problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-01-09T10:14:40+00:00

    Hi, my name is Mario and i have the same problem. Everytime i turn on my computer the recovery disk 'D' shows that is full. I have tried unsuccessfully to delete all files according to the specifications shown above with no success.

    At one time it gave me some space gaining some recovery but sudennly it comes back to the same.

    Could somebody, please help me to resolve this problem?

     

    hey !\[\](http://i4.social.answers.microsoft.com/Image.avatr?size=Small&user=marioalfonsoamesquitaarriaga&id=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000)marioalfonsoamesquitaarriaga

    you do not touch the recovery drive except to make recovery disks or use it to reinstall vista

    you do not index it back up to it use system restore on it, etc. etc

    to fix your problem contact your computer manufacturer

    it is their recovery partiton put on to the hard drive by them


    Walter, The Time Zone Traveller

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-03-11T17:26:35+00:00

    the setting at point 2 that you turn off. Should it be tunred on after I delete those problems

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments