"You are running out of disk space on RECOVERY (D:)" message.

Anonymous
2008-12-10T21:33:57+00:00

From: Robert Judge

On my new VISTA PC, I tried to use the built-in Backup program.  The back-up apparently failed because there was not enough room on the "RECOVERY (D:) disk.

Now, when I re-start my new VISTA PC, I get this message:

"Low Disk Space You are running out of disk space on RECOVERY (D:). To free space on this drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click here..."

When I "Click here," I am then offered "Disk Cleanup for RECOVERY (D:)."  The Disk Cleanup offers "Office Setup Files" and "Recycle Bin," but both have "0 bytes" so I can't free up space that way.

When I open the Backup and Restore center and try to backup files, the program starts by "Creating a shadow copy."  However, I then get a message:

"An error occurred...There is not enough space to save the backup files. 

Free up disk space or change yur backup settings. (0x81000005)."

If I have limited space on "RECOVERY D," I only need to backup Documents.  But even when I only check "Documents," I get the same error message.

I am thinking that I should delete the contents of RECOERY D and try to start over again.  However, there appears to be some files that came already installed on RECOVERY D.  However, I see a folder called "Backup Set 2008-06-08 193208," which I assume is the failed backup that I tried on June 6.  Should I just delete that folder and try again?  Or is there some other way I should try to use the "Backup and Restore" program?  I will appreciate advice.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-02-20T14:59:40+00:00

Mickie,

As Ryan pointed to, the Recovery D drive should not be used for storage, did you install anything to it directly?

If you were attempting to backup and then canceled or failed, then follow these directions:

  1. Click

Windows Logo (Start) -> In Start Search type Backup Status and Configuration 2. Next to "Automatic backup is currently turned on" Click Turn Off 3. Close the window.

Next we will need to remove the incomplete files that were saved on your D drive.

To do this you will need to click Start click Computer, then double-click Local Disk (D:)

Here you will find two things, a MediaID.bin file  and a folder with the same name as your computer (you can confirm this by finding a Backup Set folder inside this one), you will need to delete both to get rid of the message. Let us know if you require help figuring out the name of this Folder.


Rami

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2008-12-10T21:34:32+00:00

From: Mick Murphy

Your D: Partition is a partition set up on your computer by the Manufacturer in case of serious problems in the Vista operation system.

DO NOT TOUCH IT.

You are supposed to make recovery DVDs from it to reinstall Vista in case of complete Hard Drive failure.

Also, at Startup, there is an F Key option to reinstall vista from it, back to factory standards, in case of System crash.

To Backup your System/Data, buy an external Hard drive, and save to that.

--

Mick Murphy - Qld – Australia

Another community answer from the Windows Vista newsgroups

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2015-08-09T12:48:01+00:00

    Hey Rami,

    Thanks for the help. A quarter of the space has been recovered. But there's still lot more space has been taken up. Any idea on this ??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-29T15:58:21+00:00

    RE: "you are running out of disk space on Recovery (D)"...

    I have this problem, but NOT for any of the foregoing reasons.

    The reason I have this problem is I replaced my hard drive with an SSD by cloning and Acronis 2015 cloning function created the D drive with 0 free space!

    So, can I either:

    a) Turn off the notices for the D drive.

    b) Expand this partition by a couple of GB.

    Please explain how. I found the answer today (12/30/2014). You can edit the registry keys to stop the low disk space notices. See this article: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/how-to-fix-my-low-disc-space-after-ive-tried-all/8a2c92ae-a44f-4c7b-97a5-21b8a6e864d2

    (Scroll down to the entry by: pitbrad1173 on March 31, 2013). This says it's for Windows 7, but it seems to have worked on my Windows 8.1 system as well. Caution: This turns off notices for all drives.

    Thanks.

    MagicTH

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments