"You are running out of disk space on RECOVERY (D:)" message.

Anonymous
2008-12-10T21:33:57+00:00

From: Robert Judge

On my new VISTA PC, I tried to use the built-in Backup program.  The back-up apparently failed because there was not enough room on the "RECOVERY (D:) disk.

Now, when I re-start my new VISTA PC, I get this message:

"Low Disk Space You are running out of disk space on RECOVERY (D:). To free space on this drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click here..."

When I "Click here," I am then offered "Disk Cleanup for RECOVERY (D:)."  The Disk Cleanup offers "Office Setup Files" and "Recycle Bin," but both have "0 bytes" so I can't free up space that way.

When I open the Backup and Restore center and try to backup files, the program starts by "Creating a shadow copy."  However, I then get a message:

"An error occurred...There is not enough space to save the backup files. 

Free up disk space or change yur backup settings. (0x81000005)."

If I have limited space on "RECOVERY D," I only need to backup Documents.  But even when I only check "Documents," I get the same error message.

I am thinking that I should delete the contents of RECOERY D and try to start over again.  However, there appears to be some files that came already installed on RECOVERY D.  However, I see a folder called "Backup Set 2008-06-08 193208," which I assume is the failed backup that I tried on June 6.  Should I just delete that folder and try again?  Or is there some other way I should try to use the "Backup and Restore" program?  I will appreciate advice.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-02-20T14:59:40+00:00

Mickie,

As Ryan pointed to, the Recovery D drive should not be used for storage, did you install anything to it directly?

If you were attempting to backup and then canceled or failed, then follow these directions:

  1. Click

Windows Logo (Start) -> In Start Search type Backup Status and Configuration 2. Next to "Automatic backup is currently turned on" Click Turn Off 3. Close the window.

Next we will need to remove the incomplete files that were saved on your D drive.

To do this you will need to click Start click Computer, then double-click Local Disk (D:)

Here you will find two things, a MediaID.bin file  and a folder with the same name as your computer (you can confirm this by finding a Backup Set folder inside this one), you will need to delete both to get rid of the message. Let us know if you require help figuring out the name of this Folder.


Rami

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2008-12-10T21:34:32+00:00

From: Mick Murphy

Your D: Partition is a partition set up on your computer by the Manufacturer in case of serious problems in the Vista operation system.

DO NOT TOUCH IT.

You are supposed to make recovery DVDs from it to reinstall Vista in case of complete Hard Drive failure.

Also, at Startup, there is an F Key option to reinstall vista from it, back to factory standards, in case of System crash.

To Backup your System/Data, buy an external Hard drive, and save to that.

--

Mick Murphy - Qld – Australia

Another community answer from the Windows Vista newsgroups

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-22T11:14:59+00:00

    From: Robert Judge

     

    On my new VISTA PC, I tried to use the built-in Backup program.  The back-up apparently failed because there was not enough room on the "RECOVERY (D:) disk.

    Now, when I re-start my new VISTA PC, I get this message:

    "Low Disk Space You are running out of disk space on RECOVERY (D:). To free space on this drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click here..."

    When I "Click here," I am then offered "Disk Cleanup for RECOVERY (D:)."  The Disk Cleanup offers "Office Setup Files" and "Recycle Bin," but both have "0 bytes" so I can't free up space that way.

    When I open the Backup and Restore center and try to backup files, the program starts by "Creating a shadow copy."  However, I then get a message:

    "An error occurred...There is not enough space to save the backup files. 

    Free up disk space or change yur backup settings. (0x81000005)."

     

    If I have limited space on "RECOVERY D," I only need to backup Documents.  But even when I only check "Documents," I get the same error message.

    I am thinking that I should delete the contents of RECOERY D and try to start over again.  However, there appears to be some files that came already installed on RECOVERY D.  However, I see a folder called "Backup Set 2008-06-08 193208," which I assume is the failed backup that I tried on June 6.  Should I just delete that folder and try again?  Or is there some other way I should try to use the "Backup and Restore" program?  I will appreciate advice.

    You are a star thank you for sharing your knowledge!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-22T11:06:00+00:00

    Please ignore the earlier question...i did as you said and now all is well again in the world! Many many thanks!! You are a star!

    Hello Rami

    I am not sure if you are a support engineer anymore as i see that this post is old now...hears hoping!

    I looked at your answer but there are a couple of variations on my system:

    the D part on my PC is called recovery not local disc...i saw other replies re this...do i go ahead in the same way re deleting folders in there?

    secondly there is a MediaID bin file and a file with the name of my PC (both created at the same time) and in that is the folder that you mentioned. At the moment the media folder and another Dell folder is highlighted in blue...not sure what that means...Am I ok to go ahead and delete the two files you mentioned?

    Many many thanks

    Eileen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-09-25T17:32:32+00:00

    I have the same problem, - "You are running out of disk space on Recovery D" message.

    I did your directions as you replied to Mickie below.  My "Backup Status and Configuration" is already turned off for automatic backup.

    When I double click Local Disk (D), I didn't see the MediaID.bin file , but I saw three things:

    A folder titled "N360_backup", an icon titled "Recovery", and a shortcut titled "Network - shortcut"

    Inside the folder of "N360_backup" is a folder titled with 36 characters and numbers including dashes.

    inside this folder are 16 different folders titled 0-9 and A-F with a file titled "backup.@db" which I cannot open.

    I have Norton 360, so is that belonging to Norton?  Can I delete it?  Do I have to reconfigure Norton?

    I click on icon "Recovery" and it told me not to delete it, so I won't.

    I click on the shortcut "Network-shortcut" and they are links to printers.  I think I can delete this.

    Please assist.

    thank you.

    Mickie,

    As Ryan pointed to, the Recovery D drive should not be used for storage, did you install anything to it directly?

    If you were attempting to backup and then canceled or failed, then follow these directions:

     

    1. Click Windows Logo (Start) -> In Start Search type Backup Status and Configuration
    2. Next to "Automatic backup is currently turned on" Click Turn Off
    3. Close the window.

     

    Next we will need to remove the incomplete files that were saved on your D drive.

    To do this you will need to click Start click Computer, then double-click Local Disk (D:)

    Here you will find two things, a MediaID.bin file  and a folder with the same name as your computer (you can confirm this by finding a Backup Set folder inside this one), you will need to delete both to get rid of the message. Let us know if you require help figuring out the name of this Folder.


    Rami

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments