An unexpected I/O error has occured.File:\Boot\BCD

Anonymous
2009-11-05T00:39:10+00:00

My Toshiba Satellite with Vista Premium 64 stopped working.I get the black screen and only F2,or F12 work(not F8)If I don't press anything, I get a message

"Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your pc.This error can be caused by unplagging a removable storage device...,or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM.Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your pc.

File:\Boot\Bcd

Status:0xc00000e9

Info an unexpected I/O error has occured."

Nothing is connected to my laptop.

Can't go to any safe modes.Tapping F8 not doing anything.Tried recovering my system with Vista recovery disc' with no luck.When I get to System Recovery Options screen,no systems come up.I tried trun System repair,get the same massage at the end.Tried to do restore points,get error message about not having any restore points.Is there a way I can restore it to factory settings with pressing some magic buttons?Or do anything else to get it to work.I must've spent at least 20 hrs trying to fix it,with no results.Thanks for any suggestions.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-19T14:05:04+00:00

    It was already explained that they can't boot into Windows, and you are telling them how to solve the problem from within Windows??

    Thought you were Microsoft trained?? lol

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-23T03:23:31+00:00
    1. Berating someone for their answer when they are trying to be helpful doesn't accomplish anything. 
    2. You should at least thoroughly READ the answer if you are going to critique it. It clearly instructs people to boot from  their installation disk  to make the bcd repairs. You could also download a free Windows repair disc and boot from that to repair a Windows installation even if you can't boot into Windows itself. 

    Thank you Debleena for trying to help and outlining some useful steps (even if they won't work for everyone).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-11-28T22:57:22+00:00

    So where would one acquire this free windows repair disc you speak of?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-11-30T19:49:58+00:00

    They used to be more easily available on the net but they still seem to be here http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

    (digital river is the official MS digital distributor) 

    However, the easiest way if you have another working machine with a similar OS is to just make one yourself 

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/create-a-system-repair-disc

    Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-06-26T01:01:01+00:00

    It's strange that you felt a need to defend Debleena's post from 2009, 5 years previous with 24 posts since complaining of the same issue and suggesting that the steps provided by this Microsoft person have failed to achieve an outcome. No further responses have been provided by Debleena or any other representative from Microsoft.

    I had this same issue and fixed it way back in 2007. It has now occurred on another pc and I can't get the pc to boot from the Microsoft / Dell Recovery disk. The suggested steps provided by Debleena do not provide alternative solutions if you can't boot from a Recovery disk. I notice that you failed to provide constructive comments to assist anyone with this problem. Enough said.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments