An unexpected I/O error has occured.File:\Boot\BCD

Anonymous
2009-11-05T00:39:10+00:00

My Toshiba Satellite with Vista Premium 64 stopped working.I get the black screen and only F2,or F12 work(not F8)If I don't press anything, I get a message

"Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your pc.This error can be caused by unplagging a removable storage device...,or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM.Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your pc.

File:\Boot\Bcd

Status:0xc00000e9

Info an unexpected I/O error has occured."

Nothing is connected to my laptop.

Can't go to any safe modes.Tapping F8 not doing anything.Tried recovering my system with Vista recovery disc' with no luck.When I get to System Recovery Options screen,no systems come up.I tried trun System repair,get the same massage at the end.Tried to do restore points,get error message about not having any restore points.Is there a way I can restore it to factory settings with pressing some magic buttons?Or do anything else to get it to work.I must've spent at least 20 hrs trying to fix it,with no results.Thanks for any suggestions.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-29T12:23:13+00:00

    Hi Debleena,

    After I typed typed**"bootrec /RebuildBcd"**

    Total Identified Windows Installations: 0

    Operation completed successfully.

    I was using Windows 10

    What should I do?

    Thanks,

    T.E

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-10-28T07:14:41+00:00

    I get a message

    "Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your pc.This error can be caused by unplagging a removable storage device...,or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM.Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your pc.

    File:\Boot\Bcd

    Status:0xc00000e9 

    Info an unexpected I/O error has occured."

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-06-26T01:35:42+00:00

    I don't think there's anything strange about it at all. I was defending the post from the person in question because they obviously didn't comprehend it and there have been various comments over the years as people randomly encounter the issue and searches bring them here. The poster was irate because he didn't understand that you need to boot off of a cd, flash drive, etc to make the bcd edit repairs even though that is exactly what the MS post says in the first place. 

    I'm sorry that you don't feel my post is worthwhile but I do offer links (possibly now outdated) where you can get a free Windows repair cd to boot from and make BCD repairs . read my follow - up post. If you can't get your PC to boot off of a cd or USB drive I don't know what to tell you, it's pretty basic. Honestly, if you can't do that you shouldn't be mucking around in the bcd either. Call a professional or someone adept in your family and have them do it. Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-06-26T01:01:01+00:00

    It's strange that you felt a need to defend Debleena's post from 2009, 5 years previous with 24 posts since complaining of the same issue and suggesting that the steps provided by this Microsoft person have failed to achieve an outcome. No further responses have been provided by Debleena or any other representative from Microsoft.

    I had this same issue and fixed it way back in 2007. It has now occurred on another pc and I can't get the pc to boot from the Microsoft / Dell Recovery disk. The suggested steps provided by Debleena do not provide alternative solutions if you can't boot from a Recovery disk. I notice that you failed to provide constructive comments to assist anyone with this problem. Enough said.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-11-30T19:49:58+00:00

    They used to be more easily available on the net but they still seem to be here http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

    (digital river is the official MS digital distributor) 

    However, the easiest way if you have another working machine with a similar OS is to just make one yourself 

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/create-a-system-repair-disc

    Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments