4 GB SDHC card not opening in XP with SP3 loaded

Anonymous
2009-12-30T01:47:28+00:00

I have a built in card reader that has always run my SD cards fine - but now it is balky when I try to read a PNY 4GB SDHC card.  I think it read it at one time but not recently.  I have tried to download the hotfixes I found in the knowledge base but 2 of them are apparently older than SP3 and the 3rd doesn't have an English language selection.  In Device Manager, the system says the device is working properly.  I have tried to update the driver but am told there is not a newer driver - I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the driver and that doesn't help either.  Anybody have any other ideas or help??  I am using Windows XP Media Center edition with SP3 loaded in a Gateway desktop computer.

If this is any help - this card also does not open if I connect an external 2.0 USB card reader to this desktop - but this card works fine in my ACER netbook and in my Toshiba Satellite notebook - both running Windows XP.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-12T19:41:18+00:00

Everyone!!!

You need to note that both the SD and SDHC "cards" have the exact same physical size but the internal electronics are different.   To read a SDHC card, the reader MUST be able to read the SDHC electronics correctly.  You can not read a SDHC card on a standard SD reader but a SDHC reader can read a SD card.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-01-14T20:41:51+00:00

    There is no driver that will "convert" a SD reader into a SDHC reader.  Both the SD and SDHC card have the exact same "physical" size but you need a SDHC reader to read the SDHC card.  SDHC cards have different internal "configuration" than the older SD cards, so as to "pack" more storage.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-01-16T01:58:45+00:00

    I am using a 2 gb sd card in an sd card reader that is in my Canon printer. It has worked in the past but not now. It does, however work in safe-mode. I've looked at Services, Loaded Modules and Running Tasks to see if I could determine what's different, or what might be in conflict in Normal Mode.

    Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this or can someone suggest what to look for, or where.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-01-18T01:48:29+00:00

    There is no driver that will "convert" a SD reader into a SDHC reader.  Both the SD and SDHC card have the exact same "physical" size but you need a SDHC reader to read the SDHC card.  SDHC cards have different internal "configuration" than the older SD cards, so as to "pack" more storage.

    I've two machines, one desktop and one laptop, both with windows xp sp3. Booting windows my sdhc 4 gb cards are not recognized. Booting a Linux on the same machines , same hardware,****same SD reader, the sdhc 4 gb cards are recognized.

    This means same hardware with different O.S. behave different.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-01-18T21:01:08+00:00

    I am using a 2 gb sd card in an sd card reader that is in my Canon printer. It has worked in the past but not now. It does, however work in safe-mode. I've looked at Services, Loaded Modules and Running Tasks to see if I could determine what's different, or what might be in conflict in Normal Mode.

    Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this or can someone suggest what to look for, or where.

    Thanks

    Printer based "SD" reader may require you to let the Windows 7 firewall "software" pass "printer's" bundled software thru it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments