4 GB SDHC card not opening in XP with SP3 loaded

Anonymous
2009-12-30T01:47:28+00:00

I have a built in card reader that has always run my SD cards fine - but now it is balky when I try to read a PNY 4GB SDHC card.  I think it read it at one time but not recently.  I have tried to download the hotfixes I found in the knowledge base but 2 of them are apparently older than SP3 and the 3rd doesn't have an English language selection.  In Device Manager, the system says the device is working properly.  I have tried to update the driver but am told there is not a newer driver - I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the driver and that doesn't help either.  Anybody have any other ideas or help??  I am using Windows XP Media Center edition with SP3 loaded in a Gateway desktop computer.

If this is any help - this card also does not open if I connect an external 2.0 USB card reader to this desktop - but this card works fine in my ACER netbook and in my Toshiba Satellite notebook - both running Windows XP.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-12T19:41:18+00:00

Everyone!!!

You need to note that both the SD and SDHC "cards" have the exact same physical size but the internal electronics are different.   To read a SDHC card, the reader MUST be able to read the SDHC electronics correctly.  You can not read a SDHC card on a standard SD reader but a SDHC reader can read a SD card.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-11-28T05:13:42+00:00

    I had the same problem and read several forums like these with people with the same problem. I fortunately was too cheap to buy any fix and did not wish to download a driver detective program. I have two compaq presario v2000 computers and my new sdhc card worked on one but not the other. So...I compared the two driver files. The newer computer had a texas instrument flash reader that was a few months newer. I was not able to download an update for the driver without using the detective software program...which i again was skeptical of doing. So I copied the newer version of the program to an older SD card and replaced my files with his files. It worked. Now both old and newer SDHC cards work perfectly. The file that i was missing was: tifm21.ifm

    I copied all files named TIFM21.* and saved them in a folder I created and called SDHC fix. I inserted the SDHC card and then the ifm file was automatically removed/extracted from those files.

    I am not a computer wizard of any kind and all the other fixes out there were just too complicated. Good luck with this but the problem was with the flash media driver and not the sd driver.

    HP Compaq Texas Instruments Media Card Driver Details:

    <label class="driverDetailLabel" style="font-weight: bold; font-size: 12px; float: left; vertical-align: top; width: 130px; line-height: 14px; height: 2em;">Operating Systems:</label>2000, XP

    <label class="driverDetailLabel" style="font-weight: bold; font-size: 12px; float: left; vertical-align: top; width: 130px; line-height: 14px; height: 2em;">Version:</label>2.0.0.2

    <label class="driverDetailLabel" style="font-weight: bold; font-size: 12px; float: left; vertical-align: top; width: 130px; line-height: 14px; height: 2em;">Driver Date:</label>9/20/2005

    <label class="driverDetailLabel" style="font-weight: bold; font-size: 12px; float: left; vertical-align: top; width: 130px; line-height: 14px; height: 2em;">File Hash:</label>9788B5BA619E3DC28C7D81665B12CA46

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-10-27T22:04:35+00:00

    My sdhc card reader has worked fine for the 2 years I've had my XP Pro-based laptop but all of the sudden it stopped working.  I've tried reinstalling drivers but nothing works.  Why would it stop reading it?  Any thoughts?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-10-22T11:15:53+00:00

    For some reason my friends PC on Vista couldn't read a 4GB SDHC card and now it can.

    It like happend over night, my XP still cant though.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-10-21T16:08:43+00:00

    something like this!! its not a hardware question..its a software question!! a lot of people with xp sp2 already solved the problem..if it works for sp2 why not with sp3!!!

    http://www.digitmemo.com/articles/219/adding-sdhc-support-for-windows-with-your-old-sd-card-reader/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments