Backup aborts with error code 0x80070422

Anonymous
2010-04-11T21:54:55+00:00

Can not run 'change settings' in backup.  I get a message: "The service could not be started either because it is disabled or it has no enabled device associated with it. 0x80070422".  I'm running Windows 7 Professional on a 64 bit laptop.  Anybody have the same problem or a solution?  Thanks.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-04-12T15:39:52+00:00

Hi,

This error usually occurs if one of the services required for windows backup to work is disabled or not started.

To check for the services, click on start, in the start search bar type services and then press enter.

Please check that the following services are enabled:

  • "Remote Procedure Call" (RPCSS) should be enabled, Automatic.
  • "COM+ Event System" (EventSystem) should be enabled, Manual.
  • "System Event Notification Service" (SENS) should be enabled, Automatic.
  • "Volume Shadow Copy" (VSS) should be enabled, Manual.
  • "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider" (SWPRV) should be enabled, manual.

Once you make any changes according to the specifications listed above, you can try a backup and check if that resolves the issue.

I would also suggest you to run a SFC scan.

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929833?p=1

Hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you require further help.

Regards

Rehman – Microsoft Support

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-10-09T04:10:08+00:00

This was it for me too. Brings up some questions... The big one is... Why was this disabled in the first place???  Would a backup service like Carbonite do this? and how would it have permission? That is a little paranoid. So I still wonder why. Is it part of a windows update? But... this worked. Sure would like to know why my install didn't automatically enable a service that is supposed to just work.

Thanks, Tom

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-10-02T22:37:45+00:00

    Thank you Sue, for copying down the exact error message, which was identical to the one I received. And when I checked services I found that Windows Backup had been disabled! And once I started it, backup ran fine :-)

    I installed a SSD as my main system drive yesterday and I can only presume that the SSD software disabled Windows Backup because I  most certainly did not!

    Actually, this is probably slightly Off-Topic but another con with SSD drives is that they also turn off System Restore! So you no longer have the safety net of being able to roll back to before you installed a troublesome piece of software etc. But I mentioned it because this is precisely why I wanted to set up a daily backup routine.

    So thank you so much for pointing me to the correct solution:-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2013-08-12T07:59:07+00:00

    Thanks SueCarty! I found I had the same problem after I saw your answer.

    Now the big question for anybody.

    What on Earth would shut down Backup and Restore?

    I certainly didn't do it and I'm the only person here that even knows how to use a computer.

    Also, why is the correct answer almost always the last to be listed?

    I think that "Check Services (Local) to see if Windows Backup is enabled and set to Automatic" should be at the top of the list.

    It seems reasonable that this should be the very first step in the process.

    If backup isn't actually on, then nothing else will help.

    Thanks again, Sue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments