I found out what the problem was and it is a lot simpler.
All i did was add wbem folder to PATH variable as stated in here -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952577
and also added system32 as it was not there.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
original title: Cannot update to .NET framework 3.5 SP1 and family update KB951847
I am unable to install this update- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86
Every time I do, the installation runs fine, it asks to restart in order to change system files and I click restart. It configures update, restarts again, configures some more, then reverts changes then tries again then reverts changes till I finally reach my desktop.
In update history I get this
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86
Installation date: 4/6/2009 9:29 AM
Installation status: Failed
Error details: Code 8004100A
Update type: Important
The Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a full cumulative update that contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and includes cumulative servicing updates to the .NET Framework 2.0 and the .NET Framework 3.0 subcomponents. The .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update provides important application compatibility updates. This update is provided to you and licensed under the Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 License Terms.
More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=133335
Help and Support:
In problem reports and solutions, there are several problems by windows modules installer such as "WindowsWcpOtherFailure3", "WindowsWcpAIFailure3" and "CbsPackageServicingFailure".
I have tried the following - used the dot netfx cleanup tool, closed all running programs and antivirus while installing, removed any trace of .net framework in installed updates and installed programs, tried to install it again but no luck.
Now it shows up as failed in update history and windows update still asks for it, but I can see this in installed updates -
Hotfix for Microsoft .NET framework 3.5 SP1 (KB953595)
Hotfix for Microsoft .NET framework 3.5 SP1 (KB958484)
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I found out what the problem was and it is a lot simpler.
All i did was add wbem folder to PATH variable as stated in here -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952577
and also added system32 as it was not there.
This issue can be caused by a damaged .NET Framework component. In order to resolve the issue, we have to remove previous versions of .NET Framework and reinstall .NET Framework 3.5, which contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0, and includes .NET Framework 2.0 service pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.0 service pack 1. Based on its current status, I suggest trying the following troubleshooting steps.
Step 1: Use .Net Framework CleanUp Utility
============================================
http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog\_Tools/dotnetfx\_cleanup\_tool.zip
Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
In the "Product to cleanup:" box, please select ".NET Framework – All versions".
Step 2: Manually downloading and installing Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
=======================================================
Please note: The size of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a little big. Your patience to download the update is much appreciated.
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/E/20E90413-712F-438C-988E-FDAA79A8AC3D/dotnetfx35.exe
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update
I setup another forum, with a reply from Microsoft Engineer David_O, who advised how resolve the issue. The below instructions worked for me:
Here is an option that might help to resolve this issue. Temporarily disable your antivirus programs and reset the repository folder using the steps below. Then run the update again.
Reset repository
=============
1. NET STOP WINMGMT
2. CD /D %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\WBEM
3. REN REPOSITORY REPOSITORY.OLD
4. NET START WINMGMT
I don't have a clue as to what to do and I am on XP
READ_THIS_MICROSOFT_KB_ARTICLE!!! MUST_READ!!!!
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q312499/
I work on broken computers as a hobby. I've come across a number of them that simply WILL NOT install the .net updates. Right upfront, I'll state that some are pirated - but others are almost certainly genuine installations of Windows. I'm not sure, but it seems to me that most, if not all, have been installed via "unattended install" scripts.
Anyway - ALL of the ones that I've been able to doublecheck has one or the other of the two registry settings mentioned in that KB article. Check those two registry keys, make certain that they are set to zero, or deleted, then run your installers again.
From the article:
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
There are two places in the registry where the DisableRollback policy value can be set. To resolve this problem, you must find out where the DisableRollback policy was set and remove or disable the setting.
To find out whether this property exists in your registry, run C:\Regedit.exe and check the following locations:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer\DisableRollback
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer\DisableRollback
If the DisableRollback key exists and has a value of "1", delete the key or set the value of the key to "0". (You can also set DisableRollback through command-line instructions.) Microsoft recommends that administrators and developers not set this property if they use command line instructions to run Setup, or Setup will not work.