I found out what the problem was and it is a lot simpler.
All i did was add wbem folder to PATH variable as stated in here -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952577
and also added system32 as it was not there.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
original title: Cannot update to .NET framework 3.5 SP1 and family update KB951847
I am unable to install this update- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86
Every time I do, the installation runs fine, it asks to restart in order to change system files and I click restart. It configures update, restarts again, configures some more, then reverts changes then tries again then reverts changes till I finally reach my desktop.
In update history I get this
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86
Installation date: 4/6/2009 9:29 AM
Installation status: Failed
Error details: Code 8004100A
Update type: Important
The Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a full cumulative update that contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and includes cumulative servicing updates to the .NET Framework 2.0 and the .NET Framework 3.0 subcomponents. The .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update provides important application compatibility updates. This update is provided to you and licensed under the Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 License Terms.
More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=133335
Help and Support:
In problem reports and solutions, there are several problems by windows modules installer such as "WindowsWcpOtherFailure3", "WindowsWcpAIFailure3" and "CbsPackageServicingFailure".
I have tried the following - used the dot netfx cleanup tool, closed all running programs and antivirus while installing, removed any trace of .net framework in installed updates and installed programs, tried to install it again but no luck.
Now it shows up as failed in update history and windows update still asks for it, but I can see this in installed updates -
Hotfix for Microsoft .NET framework 3.5 SP1 (KB953595)
Hotfix for Microsoft .NET framework 3.5 SP1 (KB958484)
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I found out what the problem was and it is a lot simpler.
All i did was add wbem folder to PATH variable as stated in here -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952577
and also added system32 as it was not there.
This issue can be caused by a damaged .NET Framework component. In order to resolve the issue, we have to remove previous versions of .NET Framework and reinstall .NET Framework 3.5, which contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0, and includes .NET Framework 2.0 service pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.0 service pack 1. Based on its current status, I suggest trying the following troubleshooting steps.
Step 1: Use .Net Framework CleanUp Utility
============================================
http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog\_Tools/dotnetfx\_cleanup\_tool.zip
Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
In the "Product to cleanup:" box, please select ".NET Framework – All versions".
Step 2: Manually downloading and installing Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
=======================================================
Please note: The size of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a little big. Your patience to download the update is much appreciated.
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/E/20E90413-712F-438C-988E-FDAA79A8AC3D/dotnetfx35.exe
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update
It seems that you have an update that is corrupt and it keeps trying to update each time. I suggest that you can BACK-UP all your data . Here are some things you can try CHECKDISK, SFC SCAN and ChEKSUR. Then you could try to reinstall .NET
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100/
HOW TO CHECK DISK:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/bc1393cf-9f9c-79c7-0f91-9337c2c41f811033.mspx
SFC SCAN: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947595
Please let us know how it works for you
Justin M. Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forumand let us know what you think.
This update was install by the automaticupdate several times on my computer only to have it screw up the start up and I have had to restore the start up over and over. I called Microsoft to alert them of the problem. My advise would be to not install it. I have disabled the automatic update so as to block such updates causing similar problems. I have had simialr issue with past updates on other PCs. I think befor Microsoft crams these updates down the throats of their customers the should do more testing to keep these issues from cropping up.
I have experienced the same problem as "filmore", except with "Error Details: Code 80041002".
I have followed both your and filmore's suggestions, however I am still experiencing the same problem. I.e. When I try to install Vista update "Microsoft . NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86" and also "Service Pack 2", it installs, restarts, trys to configure and then reverts changes with the following message "Updates were not configured correctly. Reverting changes. Do not turn off computer".
What should we do next Justin?