Cannot update to .NET framework 3.5 SP1 and family update KB951847 (error code: 8004100A)

Anonymous
2009-04-06T07:15:21+00:00

original title: Cannot update to .NET framework 3.5 SP1 and family update KB951847

I am unable to install this update- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86

Every time I do, the installation runs fine, it asks to restart in order to change system files and I click restart. It configures update, restarts again, configures some more, then reverts changes then tries again then reverts changes till I finally reach my desktop.

In update history I get this

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86

Installation date: ‎4/‎6/‎2009 9:29 AM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 8004100A

Update type: Important

The Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a full cumulative update that contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and includes cumulative servicing updates to the .NET Framework 2.0 and the .NET Framework 3.0 subcomponents. The .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update provides important application compatibility updates. This update is provided to you and licensed under the Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 License Terms.

More information:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=133335

Help and Support:

http://support.microsoft.com

In problem reports and solutions, there are several problems by windows modules installer such as "WindowsWcpOtherFailure3", "WindowsWcpAIFailure3" and "CbsPackageServicingFailure".

I have tried the following - used the dot netfx cleanup tool, closed all running programs and antivirus while installing, removed any trace of .net framework in installed updates and installed programs, tried to install it again but no luck.

Now it shows up as failed in update history and windows update still asks for it, but I can see this in installed updates -

Hotfix for Microsoft .NET framework 3.5 SP1 (KB953595)

Hotfix for Microsoft .NET framework 3.5 SP1 (KB958484)

Windows for home | Other | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-04-08T10:09:17+00:00

I found out what the problem was and it is a lot simpler.

All i did was add wbem folder to PATH variable as stated in here -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952577

and also added system32 as it was not there.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-13T11:01:12+00:00

This issue can be caused by a damaged .NET Framework component. In order to resolve the issue, we have to remove previous versions of .NET Framework and reinstall .NET Framework 3.5, which contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0, and includes .NET Framework 2.0 service pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.0 service pack 1. Based on its current status, I suggest trying the following troubleshooting steps.

Step 1: Use .Net Framework CleanUp Utility

============================================

  1. Please download the tool from the following link:

http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog\_Tools/dotnetfx\_cleanup\_tool.zip

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

  1. Please save the zip file (dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip) from the above link to the local Desktop and extract it.
  2. Double click cleanup_tool.exe to run the tool.
  3. Please follow the instructions given.

In the "Product to cleanup:" box, please select ".NET Framework – All versions".

  1. Click "Cleanup Now" button.
  2. Restart the computer.

Step 2: Manually downloading and installing Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5

=======================================================

Please note: The size of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a little big. Your patience to download the update is much appreciated.

  1. Click the following link:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/E/20E90413-712F-438C-988E-FDAA79A8AC3D/dotnetfx35.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update

http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/6/A/C6ADC586-2518-404B-8973-E1E22C556AF4/NDP35SP1-KB958484-x86.exe

  1. When the file download window appears, please click "Save", and follow the directions to save it on the Desktop. After downloading the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 setup file on your Desktop, double-click to manually install it.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-03-24T02:42:49+00:00

    Gracias, it did work !!

    Cancún

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-02-13T07:36:42+00:00

    Hello Forrester CA,   from Garboldisham1 I have VISTA.   I too have been having problems with successful installation of  update .NET framework etc   KB951847. I followed your instructions, and the setup did not complete correctly.  Where do I go from here?  When I viewed details of why, I got the following (I've cut/paste the details) Regards Garboldisham1 Description:  Problem signature:Problem Event Name: VisualStudio8SetupProblem Signature 01: 35101Problem Signature 02: 3.5.30729.01_ORCAS_X86_NETProblem Signature 03: MCProblem Signature 04: INSTProblem Signature 05: FProblem Signature 06: -Problem Signature 07: -Problem Signature 08: 1601Problem Signature 09: -Problem Signature 10: gencomp301,{12cdOS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.2Locale ID: 3081Additional information about the problem:LCID: 1033Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 has encountered a problem during setup. Setup did not complete correctly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-01-28T13:45:03+00:00

    Did you try to download to desktop then install that way?  Did you try my method above?  Follow the directions above and download the updates to your desktop and install that way.

    Try it and let me know.

    ForresterCA

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments