Outlook express error message 0x800C0133

Anonymous
2010-03-22T01:31:20+00:00

HELP!  HAve not been able to download e-mails for several days.  After signing in to Outlook Express, it starts receiving messages and then an error screen pops up with POP3 Port 110  and error message 0x800C0133  After this no messages show up as the mail queue gets larger...

I have tried the help sections and also contacted Microsoft which sent me to this forum.  Am not very computer literate, so all and any help is really appreciated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-03-22T01:39:24+00:00

Error Number: 0x800C0133 = a corrupt Inbox.

Move any mail you wish to save to a local folder you create. Then delete the problem Inbox as follows.

Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location of your Outlook Express files. Write the location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer or, copy and paste it into Start | Run.

In WinXP, Win2K & Win2K3 the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options | View.

With OE closed, find the Inbox.dbx and delete it.  A new one will be created automatically when you open OE.

General precautions for Outlook Express:

Do not archive mail in the Inbox or Sent Items. Create your own user defined folders and move the messages you wish to save to them. Empty Deleted Items folder daily. Although dbx files have a theoretical capacity of 2GB, I recommend about a 300MB max for less chance of corruption.

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:

http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3


Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail]

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-11-16T21:52:36+00:00

    I have a similar problem as tammy04. I moved all my Inbox e-mails to new folder "Inbox Archive". OE6 created a new Inbox and downloaded my e-mails from the mail server into the new Inbox perfectly. Thank you!

    The old Inbox.dbx file in the Re-cycle bin is 2.097 GB. Shouldn't this be much smaller since I moved all the e-mails in it to Inbox Archived.dbx which is now 500MB. There is also an Inbox.bak dated 3/28/11 at 1.68GB.

    My OE6 has crashed at least twice because I didn't know about the Inbox size limitation. In both cases I lost hundreds of e-mails. Might these still be in the old Inbox.dbx, since it's at 2GB? If I bring it back into OE6 under a new file name, will it crash OE6 because of the size? If so, is there a way to split it into smaller files? Is there a way to compact it to reduce the file size?

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-10-24T16:06:28+00:00

    Did you delete the Inbox.dbx file yet? If not, rename it to Inboxold.dbx. Open OE and a new Inbox will be created.

    Assuming this is a POP3 account and you do not have messages saved on the server, this is the next step:

    Look for an Inbox.bak file in the Recycle Bin and also in the message store along with the dbx files. If you find one, note the date created and post back before doing anything else.

    If you do not have a bak file for the Inbox, you will need a retrieval tool.

    DBXpresshttp://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx

    You may need to run it in the Extract From Disk Mode if its normal recovery mode fails to find the lost messages.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-10-24T15:48:45+00:00

    I have the same issue as stated above, receiving Error Number 0x800C0133 when trying to receive messages.

    More importantly it cleared my entire inbox. 

    I am able to follow your instructions about deleting the inbox, etc.

    Is my Inbox somehwere with all my message?....if so how can I get those back.  Numerous messages that I need and need to respond to.  Can I rename the dbx file and retrieve them?

    Please help....thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-08-27T22:50:49+00:00

    No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

    Error Number: 0x800C0133

     

    I've deleted the inbox.dbx in the past but it doesn't work anymore. I closed it all, used Windows Commander and deleted inbox.dbx on both sides, emptied temp files. reboot, open, still corrupt.

    Took 4 months for you to get back on the 1st guy, and this started for me over a month ago. I am hoping to get info if you have anything else. Perhaps in a few days ?

    1: It didn't take me four months to respond to the OP, it took eight minutes. Check that little down arrow.

    2: It took me eight hours to reply to the first person that hijacked this thread. That is because I have this habit of sleeping at night.

    3: This is a peer support forum and most everyone here is a volunteer and just a user like you and not an employee of MS. That includes those with the MVP tag.

    4: What is Windows Commander?

    5: Error Number: 0x800C0133 is a corrupt Inbox.

    No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E is entirely different. When do you see it? What happens id you send a message to yourself.

    Please post any error message in its entirety. You can left click on it to highlight and then right click to copy and then paste it into this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments