I am trying to back up onto an external drive my .pst contact files from Outlook. I get an error code Ox 80070021 that says that the files are being locked out by another program

Anonymous
2009-11-04T00:00:15+00:00

original title: Error  0x80070021

I am trying to back up onto an external drive my .pst contact files from Outlook. I get an error code

Ox 80070021 that says that the files are being locked out by another program. I just put all those contacts on I-Phone.  What do I have to do to overcome this issue?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Hal Hostetler MVP-Outlook 12,011 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2009-11-04T00:13:36+00:00

You can't make an Outlook backup with Outlook open.  Close Outlook, make a copy of your existing .PST file and copy it to your external hard drive.  This backs up EVERYTHING, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, email, etc.  You should NEVER use the .PST inport/export functions from within Outlook, they are broken and have been for a long time, they LOSE data, and they very often corrupt the Outlook profile in use.  If you ever have a problem, simply reconnect the copy:

Reconnect your old Outlook data file

Hal

-- 

Hal Hostetler, CPBE

Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX

www.kvoa.com -- KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. 

Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-10-08T08:19:27+00:00

This problem is caused by an MS Outlook Add In which prevents Outlook from closing down. The add in that is usually responsible for cauysing this problem is the one that search/indexing tool. The cure is very simple:

(i) With Outlook open go to Tools Menu

(ii)  Click on 'Trust Centre'

(iii) On the left hand pane, choose Add-Inns and then near the bottom of the window you'll see a button that will let you manage your COM Add-Ins.

(iv) Ensure the drop down box is set to 'COM Add-Ins' and then click GO

(v) Highlight Windows 'Search Email Indexer' and then click 'Remove'.

(vi) Click OK and then close Outlook.

(vii) Re-open Outlook and run the backup. (The program will tell you that Outlook needs to close first before backing up). All should then be OK.

If any problem contact me at *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

I hope this helps.

number (v) Highlight Windows 'Search Email Indexer' and then click 'Remove'.  is not on the list.

I am using Outlook 2007 and Windows 7.  PLEASE ADVISE

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-13T14:12:34+00:00

This problem is caused by an MS Outlook Add In which prevents Outlook from closing down. The add in that is usually responsible for cauysing this problem is the one that search/indexing tool. The cure is very simple:

(i) With Outlook open go to Tools Menu

(ii)  Click on 'Trust Centre'

(iii) On the left hand pane, choose Add-Inns and then near the bottom of the window you'll see a button that will let you manage your COM Add-Ins.

(iv) Ensure the drop down box is set to 'COM Add-Ins' and then click GO

(v) Highlight Windows 'Search Email Indexer' and then click 'Remove'.

(vi) Click OK and then close Outlook.

(vii) Re-open Outlook and run the backup. (The program will tell you that Outlook needs to close first before backing up). All should then be OK.

If any problem contact me at *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Hal Hostetler MVP-Outlook 12,011 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2010-10-13T00:24:22+00:00

    For Outlook 2003, the path is 'Tools|Options|Other|Advanced Options|Add-In Manager'.


    Hal

    --

    Hal Hostetler, CPBE

    Broadcast Engineer/I.T. Pro -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX

    www.kvoa.com -- KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.

    Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-01-20T05:18:23+00:00

    The URL above is a busted link.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments