Taskbar up top, top of windows hide under taskbar when opened

Anonymous
2009-11-17T04:32:57+00:00

I've had this problem with every version of windows that I remember since I have been putting the taskbar up at the top of the screen.  Why Windows has never been designed to properly use this setup is beyond me.  In fact it is by far more productive way to have things with the taskbar up top.

Anyhow I have fixed this "error" every time but I cannot recall how it was done before.

Typically to fix it temporarily I move the taskbar, move the window in question down and move the taskbar back. This isn't very productive.  Most programs should remember their position when closed, but apparently aren't remembering.  There should be a way to force windows to open on top of the taskbar.  I know I could auto-hide the taskbar but I don't wish to do that.

I am using Windows 7.

Thanks

btw I did a search but did not find anything like this, but perhaps it is worded in a very strange way lol.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-08-18T04:52:07+00:00

    Hi All,

    I had the same issue and was getting extremely frustrated with replies from people providing answers on how to enable and disable auto-hide and other common things which everyone could have found without creating a post

    I found an article that mentioned magnifier but didn't post the solution unless you subscribed.

    Here is what I did to resolve it.

    Launch and enable the Magnifier and then disable it:

    1. Click "Start" --> "Control Panel (menu item)" -->  "Ease of Access Center (link)" -->  "Start Magnifier (push button)"
    2. Then Close the magnifier

    This resolved it for me and my windows are finally respecting the edge of the taskbar as a limit.

    Hope this helps

    Note: I had to initiate a switch user and log back into the session however I assume a restart will give the same result

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-08-22T14:41:29+00:00

    Viewer 2k3,

    Your suggestion appears to have worked after switching user!!!   Was vexing me for ages. Most legacy programs title bar would disappear behing top positioned task bar. Till now I was assuming it was some issue with my setting in taskbar.

    Used to get around it by using key board: alt+spacebar and then 'M' and arrow keys.

    Ridiculous that Microsoft has allowed this problem to persist for ages. Even more ridiculous is that this strange workaround should actually work.

    Thanks for posting the solution.

    Shall come back it problem persists.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2011-10-26T17:16:38+00:00

    That should be an obvious improvement, Maybe it will be perfected in Windows 8 or 9.

    As an alternative solution, Titlebar Guard might be better, and also available for XP and Vista.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments