Taskbar up top, top of windows hide under taskbar when opened

Anonymous
2009-11-17T04:32:57+00:00

I've had this problem with every version of windows that I remember since I have been putting the taskbar up at the top of the screen.  Why Windows has never been designed to properly use this setup is beyond me.  In fact it is by far more productive way to have things with the taskbar up top.

Anyhow I have fixed this "error" every time but I cannot recall how it was done before.

Typically to fix it temporarily I move the taskbar, move the window in question down and move the taskbar back. This isn't very productive.  Most programs should remember their position when closed, but apparently aren't remembering.  There should be a way to force windows to open on top of the taskbar.  I know I could auto-hide the taskbar but I don't wish to do that.

I am using Windows 7.

Thanks

btw I did a search but did not find anything like this, but perhaps it is worded in a very strange way lol.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-01-30T07:16:48+00:00

    Another cool feat I've recently come across is holding the windows key and pressing the left or right arrow keys on the directional pad.  It moves ur window to one half of ur screen.  I love it a lot cuz I have dual monitors, it's easy to have 4 windows side by side.  I use this when my windows are inaccessible because they're hidden behind the windows task bar.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-02-15T04:31:30+00:00

    Hello, this issue has been present since the Win95, days.  Sadly it still lives on in Windows 7.  Back then someone made a nifty little program to take care of the problem were windows title bars land under the windows taskbar. It's called Shove-IT.  It basically shoves a window title bar down into the accessible area of the screen. 

    I noticed Windows 7 makes things better by actually moving windows out from under the taskbar, but not all conditions are handled correctly. Shove-It appears to still work to handle those odd cases.

    Do a Google search for "shove-it", program author is Phil Hord.

    http://www.free-downloads-center.com/download/shoveit-v1-5-21007.html

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-04-18T15:15:36+00:00

    Blackbird2011,

    Thanks for the pointer, i have this problem with a couple of programs that open under my task bar every time, no matter what. It is very annoying and until your 'edge drag' solution i had been right clicking on the icon in the taskbar, choosing maxize (which maximizes the window and pushed down from under the task bar at the same time) then i would just 'Restore Down' the window back to its normal size. But like everyone else I do not see why we still have to find workarounds to what should be a very simple issue for Microsoft to solve. It is sad that this still happens in Windows 7.

    Thanks again for the handy workaround

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more