Taskbar up top, top of windows hide under taskbar when opened

Anonymous
2009-11-17T04:32:57+00:00

I've had this problem with every version of windows that I remember since I have been putting the taskbar up at the top of the screen.  Why Windows has never been designed to properly use this setup is beyond me.  In fact it is by far more productive way to have things with the taskbar up top.

Anyhow I have fixed this "error" every time but I cannot recall how it was done before.

Typically to fix it temporarily I move the taskbar, move the window in question down and move the taskbar back. This isn't very productive.  Most programs should remember their position when closed, but apparently aren't remembering.  There should be a way to force windows to open on top of the taskbar.  I know I could auto-hide the taskbar but I don't wish to do that.

I am using Windows 7.

Thanks

btw I did a search but did not find anything like this, but perhaps it is worded in a very strange way lol.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-07-11T06:54:25+00:00

    Use alt-space to open up the context menu, choose Move, then move the window down so the title bar is visible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-07-11T11:32:41+00:00

    Use alt-space to open up the context menu, choose Move, then move the window down so the title bar is visible.

    That's a known workaround to the bug - not a fix!

    Check my p.3!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-07-11T13:23:16+00:00

    Use alt-space to open up the context menu, choose Move, then move the window down so the title bar is visible.

    That's a known workaround to the bug - not a fix!

    Check my p.3!

    Not much help for a full screen window.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-07-14T07:19:39+00:00

    Almost 7 years have passed since the beginning of this thread and there's still no official solution from Microsoft, it saddens me to see such a great company disregarding the customers on something that has been clearly a problem for too long.

    I always used the taskbar on top and doing something as simple as opening a PowerShell using Windows 10 becomes bothering (it always comes in a Left/Top position of 0).

    Current alternatives besides the ALT-Space + M trick are making a small piece of software (system driver or something that monitors the creation of new windows using WMI) and resetting the Window position if it overlaps the position of the taskbar.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments