There is a custom solution here: http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/44913-disabletaskbarontop-disable-taskbar-always-top-9.html But for all practicial reasons, this is a 'by design' feature in Windows 7.
Taskbar up top, top of windows hide under taskbar when opened
I've had this problem with every version of windows that I remember since I have been putting the taskbar up at the top of the screen. Why Windows has never been designed to properly use this setup is beyond me. In fact it is by far more productive way to have things with the taskbar up top.
Anyhow I have fixed this "error" every time but I cannot recall how it was done before.
Typically to fix it temporarily I move the taskbar, move the window in question down and move the taskbar back. This isn't very productive. Most programs should remember their position when closed, but apparently aren't remembering. There should be a way to force windows to open on top of the taskbar. I know I could auto-hide the taskbar but I don't wish to do that.
I am using Windows 7.
Thanks
btw I did a search but did not find anything like this, but perhaps it is worded in a very strange way lol.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Deleted
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
-
Anonymous
2009-11-17T08:50:22+00:00 Hi corazon,
1.The taskbar needs to be "unlocked" before you can move it. To check, right-click the taskbar and ensure that "Lock the Taskbar" is not ticked. If there is a tick, click "Lock the Taskbar" to untick it.
2.If necessary, close one or more running programs to free up some open space on the taskbar. Click an open area of the taskbar and hold down the mouse button.Be sure to click and hold near the centre of the taskbar. Clicking and dragging near the edge of the taskbar may simply widen it without moving it. The cursor should not turn into a double-headed arrow. If it does, you need to move the mouse cursor closer to the centre of the taskbar before dragging.
3.With the mouse button still pressed, drag the taskbar to the top or side of the screen.
4.Release the mouse button and the taskbar will remain docked to the chosen position.
Have look at the article in the link
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2200-taskbar-auto-hide-turn-off.html
Cheer!!
Erwin
I am not 62; I am 16 with 46 years of experience..Think Positive..Think Differnet
-
Anonymous
2009-11-18T02:49:41+00:00 You didn't read the question very well Erwin . I know how to move the taskbar, that's how I got it up on the top of the screen. I've used computers for quite some time, just cannot recall the fix for this issue as I have fixed it before.
The problem is that sometimes when I open a program, the top of that program, the titlebar with min,max and close buttons gets hidden underneath the taskbar when the taskbar is located at the top of the screen. I can fix it by unlocking the taskbar and moving it out of the way, fix the offending window by dragging it down and then move the taskbar back. I do not wish to do this, NOR do I wish to Auto-hide, I KNOW how to do that!
I would think other top taskbar people would notice this, but sometimes it may be only older programs that run into this issue. I just remember fixing it before, but now it has returned. Maybe there is no fix, maybe the programs that were a problem before eventually remembered the new window positions I can't recall.
My issue with this though is that since Windows is designed to have the taskbar up top, it should also know not to have the top of a window appear below the taskbar so you are unable to grab the titlebar or click the min, max and close buttons.
Perhaps now you understand what I am speaking about? I felt it was fairly clear before, but by your answer I realize it was misunderstood.
Thank you
-
Anonymous
2009-11-18T16:52:48+00:00 Did you see if the use of the F-11 key came into play somehow ?