There is a custom solution here: http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/44913-disabletaskbarontop-disable-taskbar-always-top-9.html But for all practicial reasons, this is a 'by design' feature in Windows 7.
Taskbar up top, top of windows hide under taskbar when opened
I've had this problem with every version of windows that I remember since I have been putting the taskbar up at the top of the screen. Why Windows has never been designed to properly use this setup is beyond me. In fact it is by far more productive way to have things with the taskbar up top.
Anyhow I have fixed this "error" every time but I cannot recall how it was done before.
Typically to fix it temporarily I move the taskbar, move the window in question down and move the taskbar back. This isn't very productive. Most programs should remember their position when closed, but apparently aren't remembering. There should be a way to force windows to open on top of the taskbar. I know I could auto-hide the taskbar but I don't wish to do that.
I am using Windows 7.
Thanks
btw I did a search but did not find anything like this, but perhaps it is worded in a very strange way lol.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2011-08-18T04:52:07+00:00 Hi All,
I had the same issue and was getting extremely frustrated with replies from people providing answers on how to enable and disable auto-hide and other common things which everyone could have found without creating a post
I found an article that mentioned magnifier but didn't post the solution unless you subscribed.
Here is what I did to resolve it.
Launch and enable the Magnifier and then disable it:
- Click "Start" --> "Control Panel (menu item)" --> "Ease of Access Center (link)" --> "Start Magnifier (push button)"
- Then Close the magnifier
This resolved it for me and my windows are finally respecting the edge of the taskbar as a limit.
Hope this helps
Note: I had to initiate a switch user and log back into the session however I assume a restart will give the same result
-
Deleted
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
-
Anonymous
2011-04-18T15:15:36+00:00 Blackbird2011,
Thanks for the pointer, i have this problem with a couple of programs that open under my task bar every time, no matter what. It is very annoying and until your 'edge drag' solution i had been right clicking on the icon in the taskbar, choosing maxize (which maximizes the window and pushed down from under the task bar at the same time) then i would just 'Restore Down' the window back to its normal size. But like everyone else I do not see why we still have to find workarounds to what should be a very simple issue for Microsoft to solve. It is sad that this still happens in Windows 7.
Thanks again for the handy workaround
-
Anonymous
2011-02-15T04:31:30+00:00 Hello, this issue has been present since the Win95, days. Sadly it still lives on in Windows 7. Back then someone made a nifty little program to take care of the problem were windows title bars land under the windows taskbar. It's called Shove-IT. It basically shoves a window title bar down into the accessible area of the screen.
I noticed Windows 7 makes things better by actually moving windows out from under the taskbar, but not all conditions are handled correctly. Shove-It appears to still work to handle those odd cases.
Do a Google search for "shove-it", program author is Phil Hord.
http://www.free-downloads-center.com/download/shoveit-v1-5-21007.html