There is a custom solution here: http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/44913-disabletaskbarontop-disable-taskbar-always-top-9.html But for all practicial reasons, this is a 'by design' feature in Windows 7.
Taskbar up top, top of windows hide under taskbar when opened
I've had this problem with every version of windows that I remember since I have been putting the taskbar up at the top of the screen. Why Windows has never been designed to properly use this setup is beyond me. In fact it is by far more productive way to have things with the taskbar up top.
Anyhow I have fixed this "error" every time but I cannot recall how it was done before.
Typically to fix it temporarily I move the taskbar, move the window in question down and move the taskbar back. This isn't very productive. Most programs should remember their position when closed, but apparently aren't remembering. There should be a way to force windows to open on top of the taskbar. I know I could auto-hide the taskbar but I don't wish to do that.
I am using Windows 7.
Thanks
btw I did a search but did not find anything like this, but perhaps it is worded in a very strange way lol.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2013-03-16T15:02:01+00:00 IF I PUT MY BAR AT THE TOP, PROGRAMS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO OCCUPY THAT SPACE.Same problem if task bar is on bottom, some windows have buttons OK / CANCEL covered. GoogleEarth has LAT LONG Height covered,all simply because WIN7 has stupidly been built to not recognise the space taken up by task bar. I loved XP home. WIN7 is a pain. MS does not care.
-
Anonymous
2013-01-18T12:39:11+00:00 Or you can do something else.
Press Alt + Space,
Select Move (either by mouse or by pressing M on keyboard),
And use arrow keys on keyboard to move your window to wherever you want.
-
Anonymous
2012-01-21T21:12:55+00:00 I feel your pain. I've been using the taskbar positioned at the top for a long time. I can't believe how many wrong answers were posted..... These are the easiest workarounds for me:
- Use the Windows key + Left or Right directional buttons to snap the window to the respective direction.
- Resize the window from any part of the outer frame. It will push the window down.
- If the window cannot be resized you could always use this portable freeware app called SecondShell that has TONS of window moving/resizing shortcuts. Check out the site for video demonstrations.
Examples:
Resizing window
Hold Alt + Right click anywhere inside the window (NOT JUST THE FRAME) and drag
Moving window
Hold Alt + Left click anywhere inside the window (NOT JUST THE FRAME) and drag
-
Anonymous
2011-11-26T22:05:24+00:00 There's another method that has worked since the days of Windows 3.1, and doesn't involve using the mouse:
- When the offending window opens underneath the top-screen taskbar, press Alt-Space while the window still has focus. This will drop down the "Control Menu" from the window's upper-left corner.
- Now use your down-arrow key to move the highlighted menu item to "Move", and press Enter.
- The four arrow keys will now more the window. Press your down-arrow key again to move the window down; its top will slide out from under the taskbar.
- Press Enter to come out of the Move mode.
Even in IE 9, the Alt-Space key retains its usefulness. It brings up a more extensive Control Menu.